Q. Can Xanax cause depression, insomnia, and anxiety?

Answered by Dr. Vandana Patidar and medically reviewed by Dr. Divya Banu M

Do you have a question on Alprazolam or Depression? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I have been taking 0.5 mg Xanax for sleeping most nights for the past 2 to 3 months. I bought it myself and took it to help me sleep. I have started trying to stop, or take less, and have noticed feelings of depression, insomnia, feeling anxious, and an aching neck and jaw and feeling tense. I went to see my GP but did not mention the Xanax. He prescribed 50 mg of Sertraline. Should I take the Sertraline? Do my symptoms sound like Xanax withdrawal? And how can I come off the Xanax more easily? Previous history of the same issue: I have taken Zoloft before, 50 mg, for about a year, three years ago for mild depression.