Q. How to get sound sleep without Alprazolam?

Dr. Shubham Mehta
Published on Jan 05, 2016 and last reviewed on: Sep 16, 2019

I am a 34 year old male. My weight is 68 kg. I am married and have two kids. Because, of the disturbance made by my kids, I was not able to sleep well sometimes. So, I just started taking tablet Alprazolam 0.25 mg. Now I have been trying to gradually stop taking the medicine. So, I had 0.25 mg on the alternate days and in between 0.5 mg twice a day. I have a feeling that my body has got addicted to tablet Alprazolam. Because, from the day I stopped taking the tablet, I am not able to sleep even a little bit. Yesterday too, I tried without medicine. But, I could not sleep. Then at midnight, I had 0.5 mg and then slept for 4 hours. Please help. Thank you in advance.

Dr. Shubham Mehta

Psychiatry Psychotherapy Sexology Sleep Medicine
#

Welcome to icliniq.com.I can understand your concerns.

Alprazolam is a habit forming drug. I would suggest you to take Zolpidem for disturbed sleep. Zolpidem is less addictive compared to Alprazolam.

I will suggest you the following measures to get a sound sleep. Please try.

1. Avoid sleeping during daytime.
  2. Do not consume coffee, tea, alcohol or fatty meals during night.
  3. Have a glass of warm milk before going to bed.
  4. Go for a warm shower just before sleeping.
  5. Maintain a cool and pleasant atmosphere inside your room.

How long should I take Zolpidem and at what dose? When should I stop the medicine? Please guide.

Dr. Shubham Mehta

#

Initially, you can start with 6.25 mg of tablet Zolpidem and later you can use only when it is required.

I am developing withdrawal symptoms of Paroxetine. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 26 year old male, and I am a doctor. From the past year, I have been suffering from delayed onset sleep disorder, I sleep at 4 AM and wake up after noon. I saw a psychiatrist, and he put me on Melatonin, Modafinil, and Zolfresh. But I am still unable to sleep at the desired time, a...  Read Full »

Will 5-HTPn help to increase serotonin level? Suffering from sleeping problem, depression and anxieties.

Query: Dear Doctor, I have a problem of sleeping at a scheduled time. I always sleep in a different time and it is getting delayed every day, like a cycle. For example: If today I sleep at 9:00 pm, in few days I will be sleeping at 10:00 pm. And in a few weeks, I would sleep at 4:00 AM. I also have depress...  Read Full »

Can delirium be caused by fasting and lack of sleep?

Query: Hello doctor, Can delirium be caused by fasting and lack of sleep? My 25-year-old daughter is delirious. She does not know who she is, thinks she was in a coma, etc. Hospital ran blood and urine test and a cat scan, all were normal. No new medications. I thought it has to be something physical beca...  Read Full »

Ask a Sleep Medicine Physician Now