Q. How to get sound sleep without Alprazolam?

Dr. Shubham Mehta
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 05, 2016 and last reviewed on: Sep 16, 2019

I am a 34 year old male. My weight is 68 kg. I am married and have two kids. Because, of the disturbance made by my kids, I was not able to sleep well sometimes. So, I just started taking tablet Alprazolam 0.25 mg. Now I have been trying to gradually stop taking the medicine. So, I had 0.25 mg on the alternate days and in between 0.5 mg twice a day. I have a feeling that my body has got addicted to tablet Alprazolam. Because, from the day I stopped taking the tablet, I am not able to sleep even a little bit. Yesterday too, I tried without medicine. But, I could not sleep. Then at midnight, I had 0.5 mg and then slept for 4 hours. Please help. Thank you in advance.

#

Welcome to icliniq.com.I can understand your concerns.

Alprazolam is a habit forming drug. I would suggest you to take Zolpidem for disturbed sleep. Zolpidem is less addictive compared to Alprazolam.

I will suggest you the following measures to get a sound sleep. Please try.

1. Avoid sleeping during daytime.
  2. Do not consume coffee, tea, alcohol or fatty meals during night.
  3. Have a glass of warm milk before going to bed.
  4. Go for a warm shower just before sleeping.
  5. Maintain a cool and pleasant atmosphere inside your room.

How long should I take Zolpidem and at what dose? When should I stop the medicine? Please guide.

#

Initially, you can start with 6.25 mg of tablet Zolpidem and later you can use only when it is required.

|