Q. What is the chance of getting ALS if someone in the family had it?

Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim
Published on Jan 31, 2018

My grandfather died of ALS and now I am having signs of it. He is the only one that we know of that had it in the family. So my first question is what is the chances of me getting it? Second question is I twitch in my left arm, left hand, left leg, left calve non-stop. Sometimes I get it on my right side but it is more frequent on the left side. So is this BFS? I had a clean EMG three months ago but I have started twitching more and have more weakness/soreness. If I had an EMG but did not twitch during the EMG would it had still picked up ALS or does the EMG just work when you twitch?The last thing is my vastus lateralis muscle on my left leg twitches non stop for six months and gets a painful soreness sometimes. Could this be ALS?

#

I understand your concerns.

ALS (Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis) is familial in only 10 % of the cases.

The diagnosis is mainly clinical (with characteristic symptoms). EMG AND NCS (nerve conduction studies) may help in the diagnosis, symptoms include:

1. fasciculations (muscle twitches) in the arm, leg, shoulder, or tongue.

2. muscle cramps.

3. tight and stiff muscles (spasticity).

4. muscle weakness affecting an arm, a leg, neck or diaphragm.

5. slurred and nasal speech.

6. difficulty chewing or swallowing.

If you have some of these symptoms, neurological examination is required.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

Are tingling in hands and legs due to carpal tunnel or ALS?

Query: Hello doctor, I have tingling in my hands for a few years, and now I am feeling tingling off and on in my feet and legs with occasional inner tremors. I had all my blood work done to test for diabetes, thyroid, vitamin deficiency, CMP and CBC all came back normal. I had an MRI of the brain that cam...  Read Full »

Are my ALT and ALS levels alarmingly high?

Query: Hello doctor, I recently had a routine blood work done, and my ALT level is 62 and ALS level is 82. All other levels were normal. I am on Lexapro. Are these levels alarming? Do I need a drastic change in my diet?  Read Full »

What vitamin deficiency causes muscle twitching?

Query: Hi doctor, For about 10 days, I have muscle twitching in my calf, thighs and also in my eyes. I am worried about it. I got my blood test done. It showed that I have a severe vitamin B12 and vitamin D deficiency. My vitamin B12 was around 50 ng/L. Can these deficiencies be the cause for having muscl...  Read Full »