Q. Can anxiety cause foot drop and twitches in the body?

Dr. Hitesh Kumar
Published on Nov 18, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a 26 year old female, and I developed foot drop five weeks ago, the foot was numb, and I could not dorsiflex it. But, now I can dorsiflex, and the steppage gait has disappeared unless I walk long distances. I have more power in the foot now, but it is still a lot weaker than the other one, I cannot walk on my heels yet. However, I have been extremely anxious about this foot drop, and a couple of weeks ago I started to twitch, first in the legs and then all over my body, I can see the twitches. When I am talking with someone and thinking about something else, the twitches go away and come back when I think about it. I do feel weak in my body, especially in the legs. Can it be due to the anxiety? I am going to a neurologist, but there is a three months waiting period, and I am scared. I do not think we have had any ALS in my family. Please help me ease my mind.

#

It is good that your foot drop is improving in a five weeks period.

The twitches that you are feeling may be due to anxiety also.

If it was ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis), the foot drop would be unlikely to improve. As it is improving, it is unlikely to be ALS.

• Did you undergo any medical investigation for this foot drop?
  • Are you taking any medications for it?

I suggest you undergo the following investigations.

1. MRI of the spine, with a screening of the entire spine.
  2. NCV (nerve conduction velocity) of all four limbs.

There can be many causes for foot drop. You should meet a neurologist for investigations to find reasons for foot drop and its proper management.

For more information consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

Thank you for the reply. I do not take any medication for the foot drop, apart from vitamins and physical therapy twice a week. The doctor thought the drop foot was due to peroneal nerve entrapment when I cross my legs, so I stopped doing that. But since I wanted a referral to a neurologist, she fixed it but, it can take up to three months. The numbness of the foot has gone away. The twitches are slightly better some days also, mostly feel them in the calfs and above the knee. How common is non-familial ALS under the age of 30?

#

Non-familial ALS is a very uncommon disease. But the rare disease can also happen. But your symptoms do not seem to be of ALS because there is no significant improvement in ALS.

You seem anxious about fear of ALS, which might be exaggerating your twitches.

It may be due to common peroneal entrapment. But, it can be due to other neuropathy or myelopathy also.

You must undergo investigations for it. I suggest you take an appointment with a neurologist early.

For further queries consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

Generalized Anxiety Disorder(GAD)

Article Overview: A 35-year-old woman came to me with a chief complaint of muscle tension. She stated that she has experienced a considerable amount of muscle tension her entire life, but it has become increasingly worse over the last 12 months. Read Article

The above mentioned patient is suffering from Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD). GAD can be defined as anxiety and worry about several events and activities for a majority of the day. The anxiety and worry of GAD differs from normal anxiety by its excessiveness, the difficu...  Read Article

Does tingling in my hands and legs mean carpal tunnel syndrome or ALS?

Query: Hello doctor, I have tingling in my hands for a few years, and now I am feeling tingling off and on in my feet and legs with occasional inner tremors. I had all my blood work done to test for diabetes, thyroid, vitamin deficiency, CMP and CBC all came back normal. I had an MRI of the brain that cam...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. These symptoms do not look like ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis). Moreover, carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS) has been established in your reports. Anxiety and CTS are more than enough to cause these symptoms. So, my recommendation is that you should start on Pregabalin 7...  Read Full

How can I rule out ALS?

Query: Hi doctor, About five weeks ago, I started feeling some weakness in my left leg. I have consulted my family doctor and a neurologist. All physical tests showed no actual weakness. There were no other clinical signs and the reflexes were also normal. There is no activity or movement that I cannot do....  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The various symptoms you have described are due to L5-S1 moderate broad left paracentral disc protrusion mildly distorted the anterior aspect of the thecal sac and abutting without displacing the traversing nerve roots. When a disc prolapses and compresses the spinal c...  Read Full