Q. Kindly tell me whether the cramps I am experiencing are due to ALS or MND.

Answered by Dr. Aida Quka and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Als or Mnd? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I am a 29-year-old male and in need of some reassurance over my serious health anxiety re MND (ALS). I am not normally anxious or depressed, married with a young daughter and a wife who is pregnant. It stared with an entire all day leg ache (left leg). Two days later my arm started to fell weird, tingles and biceps hurt. Since then (three weeks ago now) I have had the following symptoms. Numb or tingle fingers, feeling of weakness (but not actually weak), pain in hands, feeling of stiffness in fingers, lots of muscle twitches across body but mainly legs, feet, hands and arms, cramp type feeling in both big toes and calf muscles (not full on cramp), nausea and dull headache, dry throat, lump in front feeling, and a scratchy throat feeling. I keep looking for atrophy, though nobody thinks I have that. A sore skin feeling across my lower ribs and upper back like sunburn but without the burn, fatigue.

I have seen three GP's. All three have said they think I am fine, they do not have worries and one said I do not have MND. I have had a complete blood test which had come back as normal. At my third GP appointment, I was tested for strength and reflexes. She could find nothing clinically wrong, no weakness but did mention some quite brisk reflexes but they were symmetrical. Is this normal? a referal was made, she said she does not think it is MND or anything bad basically. I was diagnosed with health anxiety two weeks ago and I am currently taking each day 50 mg Sertraline.

Can you please confirm that the symptoms I mentioned are not MND or ALS related? That the twitches are nothing to worry about using your expertise? Confirm that the brisk reflexes on both sides (symmetrical) are nothing to worry about. That the type of cramp I am experiencing is not related to ALS or MND using your experience.