Q. Kindly tell me whether the cramps I am experiencing are due to ALS or MND.

Dr. Aida Quka
Published on Oct 25, 2018

I am a 29-year-old male and in need of some reassurance over my serious health anxiety re MND (ALS). I am not normally anxious or depressed, married with a young daughter and a wife who is pregnant. It stared with an entire all day leg ache (left leg). Two days later my arm started to fell weird, tingles and biceps hurt. Since then (three weeks ago now) I have had the following symptoms. Numb or tingle fingers, feeling of weakness (but not actually weak), pain in hands, feeling of stiffness in fingers, lots of muscle twitches across body but mainly legs, feet, hands and arms, cramp type feeling in both big toes and calf muscles (not full on cramp), nausea and dull headache, dry throat, lump in front feeling, and a scratchy throat feeling. I keep looking for atrophy, though nobody thinks I have that. A sore skin feeling across my lower ribs and upper back like sunburn but without the burn, fatigue.

I have seen three GP's. All three have said they think I am fine, they do not have worries and one said I do not have MND. I have had a complete blood test which had come back as normal. At my third GP appointment, I was tested for strength and reflexes. She could find nothing clinically wrong, no weakness but did mention some quite brisk reflexes but they were symmetrical. Is this normal? a referal was made, she said she does not think it is MND or anything bad basically. I was diagnosed with health anxiety two weeks ago and I am currently taking each day 50 mg Sertraline.

Can you please confirm that the symptoms I mentioned are not MND or ALS related? That the twitches are nothing to worry about using your expertise? Confirm that the brisk reflexes on both sides (symmetrical) are nothing to worry about. That the type of cramp I am experiencing is not related to ALS or MND using your experience.

Dr. Aida Quka

Neurology
#

Your symptoms are not typical of ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis). You should know that at your age ALS is a very exceptional diagnosis. But there are also a lot of other conditions that may mimic this clinical situation. For this reason, I would recommend performing some tests. Complete blood count for anemia, blood electrolytes for possible imbalances, thyroid hormone levels for thyroid dysfunction, vitamin D levels and vitamin B12 levels for a possible deficiency, nerve conduction studies would help exclude ALS and calm your anxiety.

Many thanks for the response.

I have had all of those blood tests, all came back clear or in the normal range (including thyroid dysfunction and vitamin levels). Appreciate the clear way you have answered my questions (aware my age is a factor) but I was wondering if I could dig a bit further, can you clarify why the symptoms listed are not typical? What is typical? To help me with my anxiety if you could directly answer the below question that would be wonderful.

Can you confirm that in your opinion the symptoms I mentioned are not MND or ALS related? That the twitches are nothing to worry about using your expertise. Can you please confirm that the brisk reflexes on both sides (symmetrical) are nothing to worry about? That the type of cramp I am experiencing is not related to ALS or MND using your experience? It is not a full blown cramp which I have experienced before.

Dr. Aida Quka

Neurology
#

Regarding the brisk reflexes, they do always show pathology. They could be related to physiological characteristics too. A central nervous system disorder (like multiple sclerosis) could also cause brisk reflexes. But a neurological exam performed by a neurologist is very necessary to determine if your reflexes are normal and exclude the presence of other neurological signs which are associated with brisk reflexes (like pyramidal signs). The pain or any other sensory problems are not typical of ALS and even exclude it.

Anyway, I recommend performing nerve conduction tests to totally exclude ALS. The fasciculations and muscle cramps could be related to benign fasciculation syndrome, which is usually encountered in sensitive persons and not related to any medical disorder. Anyway, I recommend consulting with a neurologist for a careful physical exam, before coming to this conclusion.

Can Ashwagandha be used for premature ejaculation?

Query: Hi doctor, I have PE problem and also facing issues with erection after the first orgasm. The second erection just does not happen till the next day or later. I need a remedy for this issue as I recently got married. Is Viagra, Penegra or Cialis the solution? Or should I take a natural remedy like V...  Read Full >>

Dr. Shilpi Rajnish Gupta
Homeopathic Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Ashwagandha is an herb that has been used since centuries to treat impotence, premature ejaculation, infertility, and other sex disorders. It is an adaptogenic herb which nourishes nerves and improves nerve function as well that helps your body adapt to stress, one of th...  Read Full

I experience mild numbness and also sharp pain where the wisdom tooth was removed.Why is this happening?

Query: Hi, I am a 20 year old female. My height is 5'5" and  my weight is 140 lbs. I experience mild numbness and also sharp pain where the wisdom tooth was removed 2 years ago, thereby making it hard to eat. Why is this happening?  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Possible reasons for the numbness and sharp pain could be: Any root fragment left over while removing the tooth. Damage to the second molar tooth (tooth just before the wisdom tooth) during the process of surgical removal. Cavities (decay) in the upper wisdom tooth or ...  Read Full

Numbness and burning at the base of the neck with shooting pains. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 53-year-old male. My symptoms began about three months ago and include the following: Numbness and burning at the base of the neck. Shooting pains and stingers in the upper back and near shoulder blades. Soreness in shoulders. Muscle twitching that comes and goes particularly ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern and would explain that your symptoms could be related to low vitamin D levels. Anyway, I would also recommend performing further tests if you have not already performed yet: 1. Thyroid hormone levels for thyroid gland dysfunction. 2. Vitamin B...  Read Full