Q. Can you review my EMG, and reassure me that it is not ALS?

I want a review of EMG analysis to reassure it to be unlikely ALS onset. My knee and arm reflexes were normal, as were the strength tests. Does "good recruitment" in the presence of atrial fibrillation and occasional positive waves point away from ALS or MND? In those cases, would not the recruitment be reduced? The interpretation was mild S1 radiculopathy.

#

I read your query and understand your concerns.

• First of all, I would like to inform you that the available EMG (electromyography) report do not suggest anything which is found in motor neuron disease. My observation is based on the following facts:
  1. There are no fasciculations. This (fasciculations) is one of the common observation during EMG and clinical presentation, as it is a sign of left over neurons.
  2. Good recruitment. Yes, you are right to say that there is limited recruitment in MND because few neurons are left, and they fail to activate additional motor units. The good recruitment is observed among healthy neuromuscular units to accomplish the task adequately.

I hope this answers you. Feel free to write back to me if you have more questions. Thanks and regards.

For more information consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

|