Alt

How to reduce high levels of ALT and AST?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 24 years old with a weight of 99 kilograms and a height of six feet five inches. I have an ALT of 74 IU/L and an AST of 109 units/L. I do not drink and do workouts three to four times a week by lifting weights. Please suggest.   Read Full »

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your ALT (alanine transaminase)and AST (aspartate transaminase) values are above the upper limit of normal (ULN). ALT is more specific for liver disease while AST is nonspecific and its elevation suggests other reasons. It can have a muscle origin and it includes skelet...  Read Full »

My AST and ALT levels are not elevated after alcohol consumption. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I had an abdominal ultrasound and consulted two gastroenterologists. One doctor told me that I have a fatty liver and another doctor told me that I do not have a fatty liver. Can you please tell me whether I have a fatty liver or not? I usually drink three glasses of wine each week and I...  Read Full »

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the report (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) or nonalcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH), are both spectra of fat-related liver disease. As the name implies, it is nonalcoholic which means that it i...  Read Full »

What do elevated ALT, AST, and bilirubin levels indicate?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 26-year-old male. I am very active and take a healthy diet. I do not take alcohol and never smoked for five years. I just did my bloodwork, and my ALT levels were 55, and bilirubin is 1.5. My AST levels are 31. I have been taking vegan protein and Ashwagandha (herbal supplement...  Read Full »

Dr. Sugreev Singh

Internal Medicine Physician, General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your reports are up to mark (attachment removed to protect patient identity), and there are slightly increased ALT (alanine transaminase), which is not significant to cause any symptoms. So you do not have to worry. It can be due to the medicine you are taking or...  Read Full »

What does high value of ALT, AST, and ALP indicate?

Query: Hello doctor, I want to show my LFT report. I was suffering from jaundice. In my first test result total bilirubin was 11.2 mg/dL (D: 2.1, ID: 9.1), and the values of ALT, AST, and ALP are 53, 41, and 162 u/l, respectively. Hepatitis B was negative. In my second test results, the total bilirubin c...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern and the following is my opinion about your asked question. ALT (alanine transaminase) or SGPT (serum glutamic pyruvic transaminase) is the liver cells' enzyme. So, raised the level of which is suggestive of liver cell (hepatocyte) damag...  Read Full »

Please suggest ways to lower SGPT levels.

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter is 8 years old. She is suffering from jaundice for the past four months. Presently, as per her blood test, bilirubin 0.40 mg/dL, conjugated bilirubin 0.10 mg/dL, unconjugated bilirubin 0.30 mg/dL and ALT (SGPT) 57.00 U/L. The medicines she had been prescribed are Junior Lan...  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. To add to your knowledge, SGPT is a marker of inflammation of the liver (serum glutamic-pyruvate transaminase). Whenever there is some damage to the liver, the SGPT will rise along with serum bilirubin levels. During healing of the liver, the SGPT levels slightly raise...  Read Full »

Can a slight pain on the right side of the belly be due to fatty liver?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 40-year-old male who is 5.7 feet tall and weighs 78 kg. This week I have done my routine blood test were in a few places; there were ups and downs. I have attached my laboratory reports. Currently, I am taking Apxenta 10 for mild psoriasis once a day for the past seven months. ...  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There are mild derangements in your reports. The vitamin B1 and vitamin D are low, mild derangements in lipid profile. There is slightly more ALT (Alanine Aminotransferase), which is probably related to the fatty liver due to being overweight. So it would help if yo...  Read Full »

Could cocaine use two days before blood draw cause the LFTs to be elevated?

Query: Hello doctor, Could cocaine use two days before blood draw cause the LFTs (ALT=90 and AST=86) to be elevated? If so, how long of an abstinence period (not using cocaine) would be needed to get LFTs back down to normal levels?  Read Full »

Dr. Vivek Chail

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Radiodiagnosis Physician, Radiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read through your query in detail. Please find my observations below. Taking cocaine two days earlier can increase the LFTs.  LFTs can also be raised due to many causes including liver infection, increased alcohol intake, intake of toxic chemicals including cocain...  Read Full »

What causes high ALT?

Query: Hi doctor, I have blood work done with ALT marked high. The number was 32 and my AST is 29. A year ago my ALT 6 and AST 22. My question is: 1. Should I be concerned about current numbers 2. Is the jump in numbers from last year a bigger concern ? I went online and did the ratio calculations and...  Read Full »

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Well there is obvious surge in liver enzymes than previous year, but thankfully they are just at the upper limit of the normal. This minor elevation of ALT and AST but seemingly within normal limits is not an alarming sign. Therefore, I want to assure you not to worr...  Read Full »

Is grade 2 fatty liver reversible?

Query: Hello doctor, I have frequent urination, excessive sweating, mouth dryness, stomach bloating and flatulence (gas formation), tiredness, feels sleepy all the times, stomach heaviness all the time, excessive farting especially in the evening, headache in the morning once I getup. Ultrasound finding...  Read Full »

Dr. Arbab Muhammad Kashif Khan

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Do you have any prior history of diabetes? If yes, since how long and what medication do you use for diabetes? Do you have any history of diarrhea, constipation or weight loss or abdominal pain? Do you feel heat intolerance, increased anger, etc? Since how long are...  Read Full »

How to lower the levels of SGPT and ALT?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 19 years old and just got my recent routine blood test results. One specific factor which is my SGPT/ALT levels are high, specifically 110.60 U/L. My question is, should I be already alarmed? What are some factors I need to consider, and how can I lower it down?  Read Full »

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Well, it is of paramount importance to know what has led to this elevation of liver enzymes. This is of course abnormal report i.e. three times greater than the normal ALT (alanine transaminase) value. You do not seem to be overweight so the other possibilities a...  Read Full »