Alt

Please suggest ways to lower SGPT levels.

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter is 8 years old. She is suffering from jaundice for the past four months. Presently, as per her blood test, bilirubin 0.40 mg/dL, conjugated bilirubin 0.10 mg/dL, unconjugated bilirubin 0.30 mg/dL and ALT (SGPT) 57.00 U/L. The medicines she had been prescribed are Junior Lan...  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. To add to your knowledge, SGPT is a marker of inflammation of the liver (serum glutamic-pyruvate transaminase). Whenever there is some damage to the liver, the SGPT will rise along with serum bilirubin levels. During healing of the liver, the SGPT levels slightly raise...  Read Full »

Can a slight pain on the right side of the belly be due to fatty liver?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 40-year-old male who is 5.7 feet tall and weighs 78 kg. This week I have done my routine blood test were in a few places; there were ups and downs. I have attached my laboratory reports. Currently, I am taking Apxenta 10 for mild psoriasis once a day for the past seven months. ...  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There are mild derangements in your reports. The vitamin B1 and vitamin D are low, mild derangements in lipid profile. There is slightly more ALT (Alanine Aminotransferase), which is probably related to the fatty liver due to being overweight. So it would help if yo...  Read Full »

Could cocaine use two days before blood draw cause the LFTs to be elevated?

Query: Hello doctor, Could cocaine use two days before blood draw cause the LFTs (ALT=90 and AST=86) to be elevated? If so, how long of an abstinence period (not using cocaine) would be needed to get LFTs back down to normal levels?  Read Full »

Dr. Vivek Chail

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Radiodiagnosis Physician, Radiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read through your query in detail. Please find my observations below. Taking cocaine two days earlier can increase the LFTs.  LFTs can also be raised due to many causes including liver infection, increased alcohol intake, intake of toxic chemicals including cocain...  Read Full »

What causes high ALT?

Query: Hi doctor, I have blood work done with ALT marked high. The number was 32 and my AST is 29. A year ago my ALT 6 and AST 22. My question is: 1. Should I be concerned about current numbers 2. Is the jump in numbers from last year a bigger concern ? I went online and did the ratio calculations and...  Read Full »

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Well there is obvious surge in liver enzymes than previous year, but thankfully they are just at the upper limit of the normal. This minor elevation of ALT and AST but seemingly within normal limits is not an alarming sign. Therefore, I want to assure you not to worr...  Read Full »

Is grade 2 fatty liver reversible?

Query: Hello doctor, I have frequent urination, excessive sweating, mouth dryness, stomach bloating and flatulence (gas formation), tiredness, feels sleepy all the times, stomach heaviness all the time, excessive farting especially in the evening, headache in the morning once I getup. Ultrasound finding...  Read Full »

Dr. Arbab Muhammad Kashif Khan

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Do you have any prior history of diabetes? If yes, since how long and what medication do you use for diabetes? Do you have any history of diarrhea, constipation or weight loss or abdominal pain? Do you feel heat intolerance, increased anger, etc? Since how long are...  Read Full »

How to lower the levels of SGPT and ALT?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 19 years old and just got my recent routine blood test results. One specific factor which is my SGPT/ALT levels are high, specifically 110.60 U/L. My question is, should I be already alarmed? What are some factors I need to consider, and how can I lower it down?  Read Full »

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Well, it is of paramount importance to know what has led to this elevation of liver enzymes. This is of course abnormal report i.e. three times greater than the normal ALT (alanine transaminase) value. You do not seem to be overweight so the other possibilities a...  Read Full »

What does asymptomatic elevation of ALT mean?

Query: Hello doctor, My previous lab report showed ALT mildly elevated at 60, and I repeated in July, which showed ALT mildly elevated at 62. AST normal (28), alkaline phosphatase normal (77), total bilirubin normal (0.6). No known symptoms, normal BMI. What can be the cause?  Read Full »

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Well, first of all I need to know what was the reference level of the lab where this test perfomed. Because asymptomatic ALT (alanine transaminase) just above limit of the normal can completely be ignored and does not have a cause. Some medications like Tylenol, exc...  Read Full »

Will heavy weightlifting result in elevated levels of ALT and AST?

Query: Hello doctor, My ALT - 53 (50 is the upper limit), and AST - 137 (35 is the upper limit). I recently had a full blood test done and the above figures were elevated. Doctor wants me to have an ultrasound. I have read online studies that suggest doing a heavy weightlifting workout can elevate the...  Read Full »

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Well, I completely agree with what you believe in-strenous exercise can cause this sorts of enzymes levels. An ultrasound may not provide important information, however, a complete set of liver profile can help to establish the cause of it. Namely, the other values i...  Read Full »

What does high ALT and AST values with abdominal distension in chronic alcoholic indicate?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 49 years old and I have been drinking approximately 350 ml of vodka every day for approximately 10-15 years. I also have smoked half pack a day for 30 years but just recently quit. For the past year and a half (maybe even two years) I have had diarrhea daily. I went to a doctor w...  Read Full »

Dr. Hiren Patel

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I think there are multiple issues. You need proper workup. Your ALT (alanine transaminase) / AST (aspartate transaminase) are due to alcohol-related liver disease, better is to do USG (ultrasound) abdomen. Other issues are, I had gone through your blood reports (at...  Read Full »

Will increased GGT and ALT cause blood in vomit and shortness of breath?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 36-year-old male. I had my checkup and GGT was 51 and ALT was 67 all others were within limits. Now I have a problem of headache, fast heartbeat only when trying to sleep, also feel like my left chest has a lot of gas. Why I am especially worried is I vomited and I highly suspect...  Read Full »

Dr. Abdul Rub

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As per the liver function test (LFT) of your blood, you have a mild increase in GGT (gamma-glutamyl transferase) and ALT (alanine aminotransferase). GGT suggests there is a possibility of mild damage to the liver and biliary system especially due to alcohol. We need to ha...  Read Full »