Q. Why am I having water like discharge after anal fistula surgery?

Dr. Dhaval Thakkar
Published on Jun 26, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I was operated for anal fistula four months back. I was made to take sitz bath and antibiotics. The wound is all right and there was no problem till 15 days back when I started feeling waterlike discharge from anus especially when I walk for a distance. There is no foul smell. Sometimes I also feel a slight pain in the anus in the area of operation. Please suggest if it is fine or some problem is there.

Dr. Dhaval Thakkar

General Surgery
#

You must know and remember that anal fistula is a condition which has got fairly high recurrence rate, meaning it has a tendency to occur again after the operation. Complete cure is very difficult. I strongly suspect that you have got fistula-in-ano again. Please consult your treating surgeon for the same. There can also be some conditions in which there is a high rate of recurrence of fistula if not treated primarily such as tuberculosis, Crohn's disease, malignancy, etc. You can ask your doctor regarding the same.

1.Failure of operative treatment.
2.Underlying secondary causes.

1.MRI fistulogram.
2.Investigations for suspected secondary causes.

1.Recurrent fistula-in-ano.
2.Perianal abscess.

1.Investigate the fistula.
2.Rule out secondary causes.
3.Treat the underlying secondary cause if any.
4.Operate if fistula persists.

1.Maintain anal hygiene.
2.Regular sitz bath.

For more information consult a general surgeon online.--->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-surgeon

Kindly suggest a permanent cure for piles.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 30-year-old female suffering from piles. First, it was on and off but now since around a month or so whenever I pass stools it starts paining me and then the pain stays for half a day or so. Then, if I pass stools again the next day, the same thing continues. This is ...  Read Full >>

Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You will have to follow a few steps for a few weeks. Avoid nonvegetarian foods. Take plenty of vegetables and fresh fruits. Take sitz bath which means put three spoons of common salt in a small tub of water and sit in that tub morning and evening fo...  Read Full

What to do for bleeding piles?

Query: Hi doctor, I had my kidney transplant two months ago. Now, I am suffering from piles. Can you suggest me some medicine?  Read Full >>

Dr. Abhishek Dixit
Nephrologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Are you a donor or a recipient? I suggest you apply Smuth cream (Lignocaine) for pain and take a sitz bath. Does it bleed? Consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent. Revert back with the answers to the above questions to a nephrolo...  Read Full

Is it safe to have anal sex?

Query: Hello doctor,There is slight bleeding after anal sex. I had a drop-by-drop bleeding the next morning after passing stool.  Read Full >>

Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have had mild trauma due to penetration in the anal sphincter which is causing bleeding. You will need to follow few steps: Sitz bath which means, putting three tablespoons of common salt in a small tub of lukewarm water and placing your butt in it ...  Read Full

Ask a General Surgeon Now