Q. Why am I having water like discharge after anal fistula surgery?

Dr. Dhaval Thakkar
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 26, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I was operated for anal fistula four months back. I was made to take sitz bath and antibiotics. The wound is all right and there was no problem till 15 days back when I started feeling waterlike discharge from anus especially when I walk for a distance. There is no foul smell. Sometimes I also feel a slight pain in the anus in the area of operation. Please suggest if it is fine or some problem is there.

Dr. Dhaval Thakkar

General Surgery
#

You must know and remember that anal fistula is a condition which has got fairly high recurrence rate, meaning it has a tendency to occur again after the operation. Complete cure is very difficult. I strongly suspect that you have got fistula-in-ano again. Please consult your treating surgeon for the same. There can also be some conditions in which there is a high rate of recurrence of fistula if not treated primarily such as tuberculosis, Crohn's disease, malignancy, etc. You can ask your doctor regarding the same.

1.Failure of operative treatment.
2.Underlying secondary causes.

1.MRI fistulogram.
2.Investigations for suspected secondary causes.

1.Recurrent fistula-in-ano.
2.Perianal abscess.

1.Investigate the fistula.
2.Rule out secondary causes.
3.Treat the underlying secondary cause if any.
4.Operate if fistula persists.

1.Maintain anal hygiene.
2.Regular sitz bath.

For more information consult a general surgeon online.--->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-surgeon

|