Common "Anal Fistula" queries answered by top doctors | iCliniq

Anal Fistula

Anal fistula refers to a narrow channel that forms an abnormal communication between the anus and the skin surrounding it. It forms as a result of recurrent anal abscesses or infections, resulting in the collection of a large amount of pus, which when drains out, leaves behind a fistula.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

I have an anal fistula, and my fingers have been clubbing recently. Are these related?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 29-year-old male. I am healthy and fit and do not consume alcohol or smoke. However, I have had an anal fistula. In addition, I have mild clubbing of my fingers, and the doctor said it could be because of Crohn's disease or IBD. But I do not have any symptoms related to the dise...  Read Full »

Dr. Ankush Dhaniram Gupta

Answer: Hello, Welcome to There can be numerous reasons like lung diseases, inflammatory bowel diseases (IBD) like Crohn's disease, liver disease, and chronic anemia causing clubbing of nails, also called spoon-shaped nails or koilonychia. As you mentioned, you are healthy and have no other sym...  Read Full »

Why do I have rectal pain along with prostatitis?

Query: Hello doctor, My anal fissure surgery is done a few years back, and my anal fistula three years later. No problems after surgery. But now, I have been facing chronic prostatitis for the last four months. I visited a urologist a few days back because of pain. He asked me for a rectal examination by p...  Read Full »

Dr. Ghulam Fareed

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I read your query and can understand your concern. So, as per prior history, this may be anal stenosis, and after a recent digital rectal examination by the urologist, there is a good possibility of having a minor anal fissure or erosion again. Warm water sit baths ...  Read Full »

Am I having blood in stools due to piles, fistula, or rectal cancer?

Query: Hi doctor, Two weeks back, I noticed blood in my stools, I consulted a physician, and he prescribed P6 capsules and ointment. I had medicines for two weeks, but red flesh is coming out of my anus now. Is this piles, fistula, fissure, or rectal cancer? I am worried. Please help me out.  Read Full »

Dr. Arpit Varshney

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I have read your concern in detail and will surely help you out. You are suffering from piles. I suggest the following treatment for seven days, and you will feel much better. I will suggest further treatment after seven days as per your improvement in symptoms. 1) Tablet...  Read Full »

Why do I have lumps near the anus?

Query: Hi doctor, I am in real pain for the past 9 months and my doctor is clueless after several visits. After a period of 38.6 weeks in latent labor, I had a vacuum-assisted vaginal delivery (first baby). No ultrasound was done on the very day of admission. With crowning left mediolateral episiotomy was ...  Read Full »

Dr. Srivastava, Sumit

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I have gone through your complaint. It seems there is fistula (tunnel like passage) formation leading to recurrent perianal abscess in your anogenital area. But it needs to be examined to confirm the diagnosis. I would suggest you to consult an experienced surgeon for f...  Read Full »

I had an anal fistula. Can it recur?

Query: Hi doctor, I was diagnosed with fistula-in-ano before eight years. I just consulted multiple physicians and surgeons. They all said to wait and watch and put me on antibiotics. Two years later, my fistula has closed on its own and there is no pus discharge or abscess forming. The healing was fast an...  Read Full »

Dr. Kagathara Happy Kumar Devkaranbhai

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Fistula-in-ano is a surgical condition and cannot be cured by medicines only. Yes, antibiotic has minor role just to prevent infection. If fistula tract develops an infection then from which an abscess will develop and later the fistula tract may extend. External fis...  Read Full »

I have a small painful lump in anal region which causes discomfort while sitting. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor,I had constipation for about three days, after a few days I realized I had a swelling (small lump-like) on my butthole (on one side). It is slightly painful, especially when I sit. I am not on any medication and I did not take pictures or go to a doctor. It is not sore when I go to the ...  Read Full »

Dr. Vandana Andrews

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I read your query and understand your concern. The small lump you described near your anus and the picture shared by you (attachment removed to protect patient’s identity), could potentially be a condition known as an external hemorrhoid. Hemorrhoids are swollen bloo...  Read Full »

What causes the anus to feel wet?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a wet feeling inside the anus for the past one year. I did a colonoscopy and sigmoidoscopy, and the doctor said that everything is fine. They said probably the wet feeling is due to sweat. Swab culture and sensitivity report showed up Klebsiella pneumoniae. I took Augmentin 625 ...  Read Full »

Dr. Rashmi Singh

Answer: Hello, Welcome to When was the swab culture and sensitivity done? Did you take Augmentin before or after it started? And for how long? Is the discharge purulent, clear or white thick? Do you have any other complaints like pain or itching? Do you have any other medical conditions lik...  Read Full »

I am a 33-year-old healthy male experiencing itching in my anus. What could be causing this?

Query: Hello doctor, I am experiencing itching in my anus. I took a picture, but I am unsure about its significance. I am a 33-year-old male, single, and free from any diseases and drugs. I noticed a small growth in my anus, but I am uncertain whether it is a normal occurrence. Could it be hemorrhoid, fis...  Read Full »

Dr. Arvind Guru

Answer: Hello, Welcome to have reviewed the images that you have attached (attachment removed to protect the patient’s identity). It appears that you are experiencing a condition known as Pruritus ani. I do not observe any visible signs of fistula or hemorrhoids. However, for a more definiti...  Read Full »

I have a tender lump beneath skin near anus. What could this be?

Query: Hello doctor, Suffering from mild IBS D (irritable bowel syndrome with diarrhea) since last four years. Noticed a tender lump beneath skin near anus three years ago. Swells and shrinks itself. Mild throbbing and pale yellow fluid discharge from anus when pressed during swelling. Proctoscopy was done...  Read Full »

Dr. Arvind Guru

Answer: Hi, Welcome to After reviewing the information shared and your pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it appears you are suffering from Fistula -in Ano (tubular interconnection between anal canal and outside skin near the anal opening). The swelling you are talking a...  Read Full »

I have noticed a small hole adjacent to my rectum and over the past month, I have observed a slight yellow liquid when I wipe after using the restroom. Is anything serious?

Query: Hello doctor, I am reaching out because I am uncertain about the urgency of my situation. I have noticed a small hole adjacent to my rectum, which I was aware of only today. In the past month, I noticed a slight yellow liquid when I wiped the area after using the restroom. Initially, I thought tha...  Read Full »

Dr. Vandana Andrews

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Thank you for your query. If you are experiencing symptoms such as fever, weakness, and the presence of a new symptom like a small hole, it is important to seek medical attention promptly. While it might not necessarily be an emergency, these symptoms warrant evalua...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.