Q. Will stress cause dilated vasculature?

Dr. Amiya Kumar Chattopadhyay
Published on Nov 08, 2018

I have been diagnosed with dilated vasculature including the abdominal aorta, inferior vena cava and iliac veins (described as aneurysmal in size, 34 mm on right, 21 mm on left). What could cause this? Could stress cause that?

#

An aortic aneurysm may result from trauma, infection or most commonly from an intrinsic abnormality of elastin and collagen component of the aortic wall. Genetic abnormalities like Marfan syndrome, Ehler Danlos Syndrome, etc., are associated with aortic syndrome. Risk factors are coronary artery disease, smoking, high BP, and high cholesterol, hyper homocysteinemia, etc.

Genetic or hypertension, high cholesterol, homocysteine, etc.

Ultrasound, CT abdomen, angiography, MRI.

Surgery.

Proper control of risk factors.

What treatment is recommended for splenic aneurysm?

Query: Hi doctor, A year ago, I was told that I have a 1.5 cm splenic aneurysm after a CT scan. This week I had an MRI with and without contrast. The report was 4.2 fusiform aneurysm dilation of splenic artery, 4.6 mm x 6.5 mm splenic saccular aneurysm and minimal mural thrombus. Calcified wall with 3...  Read Full >>

Dr. Rahul Goel
General Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Splenic artery supplies blood to the spleen and it may become dilated over a small portion leading to aneurysm formation. Generally, small splenic aneurysms do not need any treatment but those of more than 2 cm should be treated. The treatment options are open technique a...  Read Full

Am I feeling nervous and tired because of smoking?

Query: Hi doctor, I started smoking four years ago, and now my smoking habit is continuous. Sometimes I feel very nervous and tired. I also have a headache. Is my symptom because of smoking?  Read Full >>

Dr. Geethu Thomas
Family Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The nicotine present in cigarettes causes blood vessels to narrow which will reduce the blood flow to the brain, triggering a headache. So, yes in a way, we can say that the smoking is causing these side effects. Now, coming to the nervousness and tiredness, recent studi...  Read Full

There is a black line in eye obstructing my vision. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor,My left eye developed a black wavy line that moves around every time I try to focus, at times obstructing my vision. After consulting a doctor and after an eye dilution test, she confirmed that bleeding had occurred in my eye around two weeks ago and the black line I could see was the b...  Read Full >>

Dr. Rahul Vaswani
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You seem to have vasculitis which is inflammation of blood vessels in your eye which makes your blood vessels leaky. Injections of an anti-VEGF compound are indicated in this but before this, you need laser therapy in your eye along with a course of steroids. You need t...  Read Full