Q. Will stress cause dilated vasculature?

I have been diagnosed with dilated vasculature including the abdominal aorta, inferior vena cava and iliac veins (described as aneurysmal in size, 34 mm on right, 21 mm on left). What could cause this? Could stress cause that?

Dr. Amiya Kumar Chattopadhyay
MBBS, CALCUTTA UNIVERSITY., DIPLOMA IN TROPICAL MEDICINE AND HYGIENE FROM SCHOOL OF TROPICAL MEDICINE,
Cardiology

An aortic aneurysm may result from trauma, infection or most commonly from an intrinsic abnormality of elastin and collagen component of the aortic wall. Genetic abnormalities like Marfan syndrome, Ehler Danlos Syndrome, etc., are associated with aortic syndrome. Risk factors are coronary artery disease, smoking, high BP, and high cholesterol, hyper homocysteinemia, etc.

• The Probable causes:

Genetic or hypertension, high cholesterol, homocysteine, etc.

• Investigations to be done:

Ultrasound, CT abdomen, angiography, MRI.

• Treatment plan:

Surgery.

• Preventive measures:

Proper control of risk factors.

•  

Query: Hi doctor, I started smoking four years ago, and now my smoking habit is continuous. Sometimes I feel very nervous and tired. I also have a headache. Is my symptom because of smoking?  Read Full »
    Dr. Geethu Thomas
    Family Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The nicotine present in cigarettes causes blood vessels to narrow which will reduce the blood flow to the brain, triggering a headache. So, yes in a way, we can say that the smoking is causing these side effects. Now, coming to the nervousness and tiredness, recent studi...  Read Full »

Query: Hello doctor, My friend has a brain aneurysm and lung cancer. He is undergoing treatments for both. Now, the medicine for lung cancer is hampering the aneurysm. What to do? Please suggest.  Read Full »
    Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan
    Pulmonologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Brain aneurysm can be a different entity or due to the metastasis of lung cancer to the brain. It is a very difficult condition to treat as both diseases have a very grave prognosis. Usually, the treatment of aneurysm is by clipping or coiling, but certain medicines ar...  Read Full »

Query: Hi doctor, A year ago, I was told that I have a 1.5 cm splenic aneurysm after a CT scan. This week I had an MRI with and without contrast. The report was 4.2 fusiform aneurysm dilation of splenic artery, 4.6 mm x 6.5 mm splenic saccular aneurysm and minimal mural thrombus. Calcified wall with 3...  Read Full »
    Dr. Rahul Goel
    General Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Splenic artery supplies blood to the spleen and it may become dilated over a small portion leading to aneurysm formation. Generally, small splenic aneurysms do not need any treatment but those of more than 2 cm should be treated. The treatment options are open technique a...  Read Full »

Query: Hello doctor,My left eye developed a black wavy line that moves around every time I try to focus, at times obstructing my vision. After consulting a doctor and after an eye dilution test, she confirmed that bleeding had occurred in my eye around two weeks ago and the black line I could see was the b...  Read Full »
    Dr. Rahul Vaswani
    Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You seem to have vasculitis which is inflammation of blood vessels in your eye which makes your blood vessels leaky. Injections of an anti-VEGF compound are indicated in this but before this, you need laser therapy in your eye along with a course of steroids. You need t...  Read Full »

Worst Headache Ever? It Could be Brain Aneurysm !!

Article Overview: A ruptured brain aneurysm is a potentially fatal condition that needs emergency care. This article helps you understand this condition and educates you regarding your treatment options.  Read Article »
    Dr. Saurabh Joshi

This is a medical condition in which one of the arteries of the brain develops a weakened area that balloons out, like an inflated balloon. This can burst and result in bleeding within the brain. What Are the Symptoms of An Aneurysm ? An unruptured aneurysm may not cause any symptoms. Some symptom ...  Read Article »

Query: Hi, My husband's eye got hurt with my finger accidentally. Now his eye hurts and can barely open. There is a red spot on the white area of his eye. What do we do? Please help.  Read Full »
    Dr. Anand
    Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your finger might have hit the eyeball blood vessels. These vessels can bleed due to trauma and can cause a subconjunctival hemorrhage (bleeding behind the conjunctiva thereby causing a red eye). This does not cause any major problems and resolves on its own in a week.  ...  Read Full »

Can Ovral G be used as an emergency contraceptive pill?
    Cold and Flu - Causes | Symptoms | Diagnosis | Treatments
    I-Pill - When to Take and Its Side Effects

Also Read Answers From

Ask a Cardiologist »