Angiography is done to visualize the insides of blood vessels using X-rays. Learn about the various types and uses of angiography.
The word angiography has originated from the combination of two Greek words i.e, angion meaning 'vessel' and graphein meaning 'to record'.
Angiography is an excellent investigation to diagnose a variety of vessel disorders in various parts and organs of the body like:
1) Coronary angiography: It is done to diagnose the narrowing of coronary arteries which supply blood to the walls of the heart and their narrowing/blockage leads to myocardial infarction/ischemia i.e, in simple language, a heart attack.
2) Cerebral angiography: It is done to diagnose abnormalities of the blood vessels of brain.
3) Pulmonary angiography: It is done to diagnose pulmonary embolism (blockage of main vessel of the lung).
4) Peripheral angiography: It is done to diagnose the occlusive disease of the arteries of limbs specifically legs.
5) Renal angiography: It is done to diagnose renal artery stenosis (narrowing of arteries that supply blood to the kidneys).
6) Spinal angiography: It is done to diagnose vascular malformations and certain tumours of spine.
Consult a cardiologist online to know more about angiography --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist
Last reviewed at:
22 Jul 2019 - 2 min read
Query: Hi doctor, I am a 30 year old female. My father who is 65 years old has suffered from two very severe heart attacks, one recently and another two years back. His father and brother both died in their 50s from heart attacks. Is heart attack genetic? Should my son and I get tested? Read Full »
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 36 year old female. I am overweight. I have BP problem since a year. I was initially taking Cilacar 5 mg. Later the dose of the medicine was increased to 10 mg. I experienced dizziness and vague pain in left hand and severe burpings. Previously, during my root canal treatment... Read Full »
Query: Hello doctor,Last week, during night time, my relative developed chest pain and was feeling very uncomfortable. He was taken to a hospital and after tests and preliminary medications, he has been advised to do PTCA to RCA. His age is 51 years old. He has a diabetic history. The reports hav... Read Full »
Most Popular Articles
Do you have a question on ?Ask a Doctor Online