Q. My husband has suprascapular aneurysm. How to reduce the risk of rupture?

Answered by
Dr. Arvind Guru
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
Published on May 28, 2017

Hi doctor,

My husband is 30 years old. He is generally in good health. Three weeks ago he noticed a pulsating mass above his clavicle. He has some shoulder pain, but no neurological or other symptoms. He went to his primary care physician and had an ultrasound yesterday, which reported that he has a suprascapular aneurysm measuring 2 x 1 x 2 cm. A referral was made to a vascular surgeon who was unable to look at his file yet. How urgently does this need to be addressed? Can anything be done to decrease the risk of rupture? His blood pressure runs 140/90 mmHg, and he does not take blood pressure medication. He is currently on Carbidopa or Levodopa for tremor.

Dr. Arvind Guru

General Surgery Surgical Gastroenterology Surgical Oncology


Welcome to icliniq.com.

  • Aneurysms of blood vessels of the limbs are better treated than left alone because they will not decrease by themselves and can lead to rupture with day-to-day activity.
  • The risk of rupture is increased with,
  1. Direct injury to the site.
  2. Raised blood pressure.
  3. The large size of an aneurysm to begin with.
  4. Some diseases of the blood vessels and connective tissues.
  • In your husband's case, it is a relatively small one. An important thing that you can do is lower the blood pressure from 140/90 mmHg to 120/80 mmHg. The first step in that is usually the reduction of salt in the diet to less than 2-5 g per day.
  • Rupture of such an aneurysm is not a very risky affair, but the treatment might get complicated. So, it is better to get it evaluated.
  • Your husband's ultrasound report can shed light on the specifics of the problem lesion and help decide options that would be available. So, if you need any more information, please upload the ultrasound report and follow up.

Revert with the ultrasound report to a general surgeon online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-surgeon

Was this answer helpful?


Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

What does grade 1 diastolic dysfunction in echocardiogram indicate?

Query: Hello doctor, I have anxiety for the last five months. Recently, I had an echocardiogram, it says grade 1 diastolic dysfunction of the left ventricle with E/A ratio 0.7. Rest other parameters of the echo are fine. Sometimes my diastolic BP goes to 90 due to anxiety. Can you please tell what is this...  Read Full »

What are the dangers of ectasia?

Query: Hello doctor, What do the following mean? Diffuse ectasia at proximal and mid section of LAD. LCX continuing as Om1. Long course of PLV and extending to inferolateral walls of the left ventricle. (super dominant RCA).  Read Full »



Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a General Surgeon Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.
Enter Your Health Query
You can upload files and images in the next step.



Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.