Q. I am a 54-year-old man with diabetes and angina, Can I have sex or masturbate?

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 29, 2022 and last reviewed on: Jun 30, 2022

I am 54 years old, and I feel pain in my chest, I have symptoms of angina pectoris, and I am a diabetes patient (type 2). Can I have sex or masturbate? I have been visiting my doctor no results; how can I cure this?

#

If you can climb two flights of stairs and can walk three to four blocks without symptoms of chest pain or shortness of breath, you can do sex. But it would help if you had a workup for angina. If it occurs frequently, you should have angiography done.

My doctor gave me Pentalong; I have been taking this medicine for the past ten days. I still have the symptoms; please, is there any medication to cure this angina pectoris?

#

I would like to ask a few questions;

Since how long have you been having chest pain? How much exertion or walk provokes chest discomfort? Have you done any tests like electrocardiogram (ECG) or treadmill test (TMT)? How is the discomfort relieved with medicine or with rest? Are you taking medicines for angina?

Do you have a family history of a heart attack at an age younger than 60 years? Do you have diabetes or hypertension? Do you smoke or drink?

Yes, I am a diabetes patient. There is no history of a heart attack. I am taking Pentalong and Aspirin 100 mg. I have had these symptoms for past two months. I had an ECG test normal and a cardio MRI and hemithorax. The relief is when I am sleeping. I do not smoke, and I used to drink, but over two months, no alcohol.

#

Resting electrocardiogram (ECG) can be normal in angina. However, since the angina is new-onset, angiography is the best test to see how severe the disease is and to put stents if severe disease. Another approach is to have a stress test such as stress ECG, single-photon emission computed tomography (SPECT), magnetic particle inspection (MPI) test, and stress to stratify risk. If low risk, only medicines; if high risk, then angiography and plasty. For symptoms, I suggest you should take a beta-blocker, such as a tablet of Bisoprolol fumarate 5 mg once a day if your heart rate is more than 70. The target heart rate is 55 - 60 per minute at rest; if this also provokes pain on mild exertion, then angiography is a must. Continue Aspirin, Nitrate, and also take Rosuvastatin 10 mg per day. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with them and take medicines with their consent.

|