Stent

Recently, my father had second heart attack and a stent is placed. Please suggest your opinion.

Query: Hi doctor, My father is 62 years old and he had a second heart attack recently. The first one was before seven years and a stent is placed. Now again a stent is placed in the left circumflex artery. His recent ECHO report shows diastolic dysfunction of grade 1, with mild mitral regurgitation and tr...  Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq

Cardiologist, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I feel sorry to hear about your father's health condition. When a person gets a heart attack, then it is necessary to follow a lifestyle modification, and medications are needed to be taken. He should eat a healthy diet like a Mediterranean diet. It is low in cholestero...  Read Full »

Is there any need to change the prescription after six months of stent surgery?

Query: Hello doctor, My father had a heart stent operation six months ago. Doctor prescribed some medicines, and still, he is using them. Should he continue the same dosage of drugs or any changes in the prescription? Please suggest to me.  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the prescription (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The same medications are continued for one year, and afterward, the dose is reduced. So, I would advise my patients to continue with these for a total of one year if they do not ...  Read Full »

Is there any alternative treatment for intestinal stricture other than surgery?

Query: I want to ask someone about alternative treatment options for a high risk intestinal stricture for a patient with crohns disease. Crohns disease has been diagnosed for around 15 years (she is 31). She currently takes azathioprine. I am not sure the part of the bowel unfortunately. I believe it is si...  Read Full »

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

Answer: Hello..I welcome you to icliniq. Well surgery is the last resort, and it may not end up in stoma formation. Most commonly a resection and anastomosis of the bowel is performed and the lumen is continued without stoma formation. however stoma formation is a possvlibity but not a rule. Biologics li...  Read Full »

Can I taper Brilinta on my own to reduce its side effect?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 66-year-old female. I am a type 2 insulin-dependent diabetic for 38 years. I suffered a STEMI heart attack on August 2019. Two stents were placed in my LAD at that time to stop the heart attack. A follow up procedure was recommended as additional blockages were observed in the ...  Read Full »

Dr. Ganesh P Sapkal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Gone through the details you provided. The above drugs are fine. You need to continue Brilinta with Aspirin at least until November 2020 (to complete one year after the procedure). Further continuation of two antiplatelets will depend on the situation at the completio...  Read Full »

Is 92-year-old patient with atherosclerosis a right candidate for stent?

Query: Hello doctor, My mom is a 92 years old with congestive heart failure. CT scan showed extensive atherosclerosis of the aorta. Probable high-grade stenosis of the right common iliac artery and the bilateral common femoral artery. She also has kidney disease in the left kidney and extreme fatigue for...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. This is a non-contrast CT (computed tomography) so it is not accurate in estimating the extent of stenosis. (attachment removed to protect patient identity). She will need a contrast CT angiography of abdominal vessels. However, the common iliac artery and femoral...  Read Full »

How many stents are necessary for severe RCA disease?

Query: Hi doctor, My dad recently had chest pain, we took EKG and echo and it turned out as though he had a slight abnormality. We got the angio done the reports shows: LAD: Type III LAD has 50% proximal stenosis. Mid and distal has a mild diffuse disease. RI: Has 80% proximal stenosis. LCX: Non-domina...  Read Full »

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I passed carefully through your dad's medical history and tests and would like to explain that it is necessary to perform percutaneous coronary angioplasty followed by stents implantations in the right coronary artery in several segments (80% proximal stenosis, but ...  Read Full »

Why is there atrial fibrillation in a patient with stent?

Query: Hello doctor, My grandfather is experiencing atrial fibrillation. He got stents 20 years back.  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There is nothing to worry about it. It is common in elders and heart patients. There are two aspects of treatment, one is to control the heart, which is already controlled in ECG report (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and another is to have blood thi...  Read Full »

I have congestive heart failure with EF at 42. Will this get normal with healthy diet?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a healthy 50 year old man who worked out six days a week. About six weeks ago, I had chest pain and went to a hospital. I was admitted after having three blocked arteries, at 99, 93 and 88 percent, and successfully had three stents put in. Since released, I have turned to a vegan...  Read Full »

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I would explain that heart failure is a clinical syndrome. EF (ejection fraction) is not the only element indicative of heart failure. It may differ based on the clinical situation and other parameters. I agree with your current therapy. I agree with your doctor tha...  Read Full »

Why is there high fever after stent removal?

Query: Hello doctor, My brother aged 35 years has undergone a kidney stone surgery on 21st and from 28th, he is suffering from high fever (mostly 104 F) with shivering. The doctor has removed the stent on 31st but the fever has continued with shivering. There is no detection of dengue, malaria, or sepsis....  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The stent and its removal induce inflammation which in turn can lead to fever. Paracetamol 500 mg SOS can be prescribed for fever. An antibiotic course can also be prescribed along with that to fight any mild infection if present. I suggest you investigate with CBC...  Read Full »

Chest pain immediately after sex in a patient with two stents. Kindly advice.

Query: Hello doctor, My husband is 55 years old and had two stents put in seven months ago for a major blockage. Thankfully it was caught due to symptoms prior to having a heart attack. He is on blood thinners and a few other medications. He is pretty active and we have a healthy sex life (two to three ti...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, It is not a normal thing to have severe pain after exerting. Sexual activity involves heavy exertion and in general heavy exertion is not recommended for heart patients. Anyway, if sex is must then medicines needs to be optimized. Firstly, I guess he must be having some minor blockages other...  Read Full »