Angioplasty is a minimally invasive endovascular procedure, which uses a special balloon to widen the narrowed blood vessels of the heart caused mainly due to atherosclerosis. This procedure restores the blood flow to the heart that has been reduced due to the formation of plaque in the blood vessels. It is used to reduce chest pain caused due to decreased blood flow and to reduce the risk of a heart attack.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

Is bypass surgery a must for chest pain?

Query: Hi doctor, My father had chest pain three months back, but he took it lightly. In the last two months, the pain has increased. Now I took him to a doctor. After all the tests and angiography he suggested to do bypass surgery. As we are not much aware of these types of diseases in family, we are look...  Read Full »

Dr. Srivastava, Sumit

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Your father's reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) shows 99% block in circumflex branch of left coronary artery, 50 % to 80 % block in left anterior descending artery as well as right coronary artery. Any blockage more than 70% is considered sign...  Read Full »

Which one is better angioplasty or bypass surgery?

Query: Hello doctor,Last week, during night time, my relative developed chest pain and was feeling very uncomfortable. He was taken to a hospital and after tests and preliminary medications, he has been advised to do PTCA to RCA. His age is 51 years old. He has a diabetic history. The reports have been enc...  Read Full »

Dr. Sagar Ramesh Makode

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I have gone through the reports (attachments removed to protect the patient identity). He had heart attack. There are significant blockages. The medicine he is receiving is fine and should be continued until bypass surgery. Immediately after the attack, say within ...  Read Full »

Do I need to take Beta-blocker and Calcium Channel Blocker for variant angina?

Query: Hello doctor, I ended up with emergency angioplasty after two and a half hour of cardiac pain. The doctor found totally occluded LAD, opened it to 50 percent with angioplasty. He recommends bypass surgery and am waiting to see cardiac surgeon. I am concerned with diagnosis which were almost non-exi...  Read Full »

Dr. Sukhvinder Singh

Answer: Hi, Welcome to The diagnosis of variant angina and STEMI due to total occlusion of a vessel do not go hand in hand normally. The documents provided by you also do not mention that you have variant angina (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Please provide more clarification...  Read Full »

After open heart surgery, how long will I survive?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 43 years old and had a heart attack. 45 days ago, I had angioplasty and a stent was placed. But now, the doctor says that one of my valves needs to be replaced as it is not functioning properly. My ejection fraction is only 30%. Is it safe to undergo open heart surgery now? For...  Read Full »

Dr. Rishu Sharma

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I have noted all your details. Valve malfunctioning is divided into three stages; mild, moderate and severe. The treatment protocol of every stage is different. Ejection fraction 30% can be because of the coronary artery blockage. You have not mentioned whether yo...  Read Full »

Can a patient with coronary artery disease lead a normal life with lifestyle modifications?

Query: Hi doctor, My husband is 37-year-old and had angioplasty in LCX five years ago and again had another angioplasty recently in proximal LCX. He also has 50% stenosis in LAD and RCA. Can he live a normal life and to full term? How to reverse coronary artery disease? Can changes in lifestyle be helpful...  Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Yes, he can live a normal life if he makes a friendship with his heart. If he remains a good friend, his heart will be even more good friend of him. Not only this, but his heart will teach him how to live a healthy life, how to be good. Every one of us has some degree o...  Read Full »

After two months of angioplasty, which diet will be helpful?

Query: Hi doctor, My father had an angioplasty before two months. He is fine now. But, he is getting restless in eating by avoiding most of the food. Please instruct me the food items which my father can eat.  Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Thank you for the query. Your father can eat all fruits, dry fruits, vegetables, low-fat dairy products including milk without cream, one whole egg or two egg whites per day, fish, chicken, salad, pulses, lentils, and legumes. Limit red meat and salt to minimum. Spices ca...  Read Full »

How is LAD stenosis treated?

Query: Hi doctor, This patient is complaining of prolonged chest pain for three weeks now. Took medication for gastric issue and the pain has not subsided. I have attached the angiogram report. ECG performed several times and nothing abnormal in it. The angiogram report showed mid LAD 12 mm length and segm...  Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad Majid Hanif

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I appreciate your concerns and can well realize the sensitivity of the issues. There is considerable calcification of LAD (left anterior descending artery). If it reaches up to 75% that is quite possible in the near future, then complications and consequences can be sever...  Read Full »

How can we improve the rate of LVEF?

Query: Hi doctor, My father had a heart attack three weeks ago. Now, he is under medication and in complete rest at home. But echocardiogram report says his LVEF rate is 29 %. Some cardiac enzymes are high. How can we improve the rate of LVEF? Can this percentage get improved by rest or diet or something? ...  Read Full »

Dr. Vivek S Narayan Pillai

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Your father had a heart attack and from his echocardiography report, (attachment removed to protect patient identity) the affected areas are thinned out and akinetic. It means that the heart muscles have lost their function in these areas. He can take drugs like beta bl...  Read Full »

Why do medications given after angioplasty make one sick?

Query: Hello doctor, The patient underwent angioplasty two months ago. The medication provided makes the patient unwell and there is a loss of appetite. We need proper medicine advise. Kindly help.   Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad Majid Hanif

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I have reviewed the detailed query and the attached picture. I have reviewed the medications patient is taking (attachment removed to protect patient identity). There is no medicine that seems to be unnecessary. All are needed for the patient. That is why the physici...  Read Full »

Is bypass, angioplasty, or EECP better for my 51-year-old father?

Query: Hello doctor, My father is 51 years old with normal weight (fit), yet he has diabetes and now a heart problem. Just got an angina attack. Doctors say bypass or angioplasty are the options since three of his heart valves are 70 to 80 % blocked. He is on a strict diet with no oil at all and only sala...  Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Science is based on evidence and experiment. As for as three-vessel disease and diabetes mellitus, the evidence favors CABG (bypass) if there are suitable targets (which means vessels can be attached as a bypass). There are many trials which support this decision. Anoth...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.