Q. Is it advisable to get angioplasty done for mitral stenosis?

Dr. Isaac Gana
Published on Jan 08, 2020

My mother, age 59, had an ischemic attack recently (Trop T test positive, CPK-MB elevated). She has had a BMV for her mitral stenosis two years back. She is currently in the ICU, on medicinal therapy (anti-thrombotics). She underwent an angiogram yesterday (report and video attached). Her RCA is 100 percent chronically occluded. LDA and LCX have 70 percent and 90 percent occlusion respectively.

I have the following questions: 1. What's the chance that angioplasty can help the total occlusion in her LCX?

2. Will a newer technology like Rotablator/IVUS increase chances of clearing the totally occluded artery?

3. We are in a center that does not have surgical facilities so a bypass surgery will require shifting her to a another hospital. How safe is it to do angioplasty in this situation? And would you consider it risky to shift her to a bigger city? That will involve 2.5 hours of road travel (after which we can wait ) followed by a 1.5 hour long flight?

Dr. Isaac Gana

Cardiology
#

I am sorry to hear about your mother's poor health condition.

1. There is a very good chance that angioplasty can help with the 100 % blockage alongside a stent. She is still young. If she can adhere to lifestyle modifications and medications it will help.

2. Rotablator or IVUS can definitely help with clearing the clogged arteries. Although they also will require stenting because the site of the clogged arteries have become weak and will require stenting as support.

3. In situations like this I advise angiography for my patient. The recovery period is shorter and patients are able to live a quality life with modification of lifestyle and medication. It is not safe for her to undergo the stress of traveling at this time.

| 

Which one is better angioplasty or bypass surgery?

Query: Hello doctor,Last week, during night time, my relative developed chest pain and was feeling very uncomfortable. He was taken to a hospital and after tests and preliminary medications, he has been advised to do PTCA to RCA. His age is 51 years old. He has a diabetic history. The reports hav...  Read Full »

Please interpret the apicolordotic view of my chest X-ray.

Query: Hello doctor, About the result of my son's chest PA X-ray. He is 18 years old, the impression in X-ray result suggests apicolordotic view. What does it mean or explanation?  Read Full »

Was my father's death due to pulmonary edema or medical negligence?

Query: Dear doctor, My father died during angioplasty. The treating doctor said that the death is due to pulmonary edema. But we suspect it may be because of a medical negligence. I need a second opinion.  Read Full »