Q. Will angioplasty of the leg affect my mother's kidneys?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 07, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2021

My mother has developed gangrene in her left leg, which pains a lot when she walks for more than two minutes, from past two weeks. So, we got an MRA of the leg, which showed no blood circulation in the left leg. As a result, the doctor suggested an angioplasty and amputation. She is diabetic and hypertensive patient, and she is under medication. Also, her creatinine level is 3.4. I was told by a few doctors, that if we get the angioplasty done, there are chances of kidney failure. If my mother's kidneys do fail, can they recover? Is permanent dialysis required? If yes, how safe is that? What are your suggestions on angioplasty when the patient is not having good kidney condition? Can the kidneys be treated before the angioplasty? Can you give your opinion on the same, as we are planning the procedure soon?

#

• During any procedure like angiography or angioplasty, dyes are used which may harm the kidneys. There is a risk, but it is high for people having pre-existing kidney disease.
  • If you mother has kidney disease, then she may require dialysis, before and after the procedure. After which, she should be fine.
  • If she has no pre-existing kidney disorder, then there is a slight risk of kidney damage. There is always risk involved in any invasive procedure.

I hope this helps you. If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask.

For further queries consult a nephrologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/nephrologist

Thanks a lot for the quick response. My mom was never been treated for any kidney disorder, but her creatinine levels are high from many years. The creatinine level was 2.9. What do you mean by pre-existing kidney disorder? Can you please let us know just by the creatinine levels if she has any kidney disorder? Are her kidneys damaged? I have attached her urine, blood, and ultrasound reports. Do you see any abnormalities in the reports? Thank you.

#

Welcome back to icliniq.com.

I have seen all her reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• As your mother's creatinine levels are high, she has pre-existing kidney disease and getting any angioplasty or angiography would pose a risk. If her kidneys get affected, she will have to undergo dialysis, which is usually transient. But if everything goes well, the kidneys will function normally.

If you have any further questions, please ask me.

For more information consult a nephrologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/nephrologist

|