Q. Does nerve fiber and ganglion cell thinning in OCT indicates angle-closure glaucoma?

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal

I concern that I have angle-closure glaucoma. I took a strong sleeping pill called Trazodone one night and woke up with a decreased vision in the right eye. My left eye became bad three weeks later. It has now been three months with no improvement. Fundus and other clinical examinations are normal. However, an OCT showed nerve fiber thinning and ganglion cell thinning.

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

I reviewed your reports with patience. OCT (optical coherence tomography) of optic nerve head is normal. Your vision, color vision, visual field, and intraocular pressure are normal. I do not think you have any glaucoma. Please feel free to ask your queries.

| 

Do you have any ideas to what has caused my decrease in vision? Everything has gone dim. It is like mild blurring. I have been told that my optical fibers are thinning so would it make sense that I had an attack of angle closure? Should I get gonioscopy done? I am concerned and confused.

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

The thinning is insignificant. Glaucoma in the early stages does not blur the vision, but it affects the visual field. Gonioscopy is not required as the diagnosis of glaucoma is not confirmed. This blurring could be due to dryness. I hope this will help you.

| 

I am worried having found information on glaucoma saying it can affect central vision. I have been getting headaches and feeling a lot of pressure in my eyes. I am concerned the drug I took caused mydriasis during my sleep, which blocked the angle. Is it worth getting the test to see if my angles are narrow? Or is there any other tests that I have to do? My eyes did not show any dryness.

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

a. Mydriasis (dilation of pupils) alone does not cause angle closure in all patients.

b. Central vision is affected in the late stages of glaucoma and not in the early stage.

c. 21 mm Hg pressure usually does not cause a feeling of pressure in the eye. The headache could be due to stress, lack of sleep, or other systemic condition and not necessarily due to an eye problem.

d. I do not see any need for gonioscopy, but you can get it done for your satisfaction.

| 

I think I am left with some other kind of optic neuropathy if not glaucoma. Does all optic atrophy cause blindness? Or is it possible that I have done some damage, but it would not progress.

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

Your pupillary reflexes are normal. Visual field, color vision, OCT, and optic nerve head is normal. These suggest that there is no optic neuropathy. At the most, you can get visual field evaluation done using Humphrey visual field. This will prove beyond doubt that there is no neuropathy. I hope this will help you.

| 

Is it abnormal at my age?

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

I reviewed the OCT reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Two of them are of right and left optic nerve head, and both of them are normal. One of them is of the fovea, which is also normal. There is nothing unusual or abnormal in these reports. I hope this will help you.

| 

My ophthalmologist said that my report shows slight abnormalities in the nerve fibers and ganglion cells. Is this the reason why my vision is like this? I am so confused.

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

Abnormalities on OCT are not significant. Like I mentioned earlier, you can get a Humphery visual field test done, which will rule out all optic nerve abnormalities.

| 

What causes akinetopsia?

Query: Hi doctor, I am experiencing inconspicuous akinetopsia, which can be caused by Nefazodone, Risperdal and Trazodone. I take Abilify 10 mg, Trileptal 600 mg twice a day, Luvox 150 mg twice a day and Trazodone 50 g as needed for sleep. Could any of the other medicines can cause akinetopsia? The akine...  Read Full »

How Do I Know If I Have Glaucoma?

Article Overview: Glaucoma is a prolonged deterioration of the optic nerve function, caused by various factors, one of which is the pressure of our eye. This article looks at the essential information you need to know to understand glaucoma, how to know whether you need to be checked for glaucoma, about its treatment and essential preventive measures. Read Article

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Glaucoma is a prolonged deterioration of optic nerve function caused by various factors, one of which is the pressure of our eye. This article looks at the essential information you need to know to understand glaucoma, how to know whether you need to be checked for glaucoma, about its treatment and ...  Read Article

Can glaucoma and cataract be operated at the same time?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother, who is aged 57, had eye pain recently. We consulted a doctor and got to know that my mom has glaucoma. Also, they mentioned that it is in the advanced stage and severe of around 90%. From another couple of tests, they found that my mother needs cataract surgery along with gl...  Read Full »