Q. USG at 34 weeks says fetal cavum septi pellucidi width is increased. Should I be worried?

Dr. Aishwarya Parthasarathy

I am 34 weeks pregnant. Until two weeks ago, all the ultrasound reports were normal. The chance of Down's syndrome was 1 in 20000. But, two weeks ago they accidentally noticed a dent on my baby's head and cavum septi pellucidi (CSP) was slightly more than the 2SD. I was told to repeat the ultrasound, and again yesterday they could see the dent, and the CSP was even bigger. The report reads as follows. CSP: 96 mm (85 mm is +2SD for 35 to 36 weeks GA) Bilaterally, very mild indentation of occipital bones is again seen. Prominent CSP measures 8.9 mm (2SD above normal). For 31 to 32 weeks gestation normal CSP is 8.59 mm.  An unremarkable appearance of cerebellum and remainder of the brain for gestational age. Can you help me understand what is wrong with my fetus?

#

• Cavum septi pellucidi is a structure present normally in the skull and identified in the ultrasound. When it is bigger, it can be a marker of a developmental problem in the child, but not with strong evidence. I suggest you consult a genetic or fetal medicine expert for an opinion.

But, do not worry. We can follow up after the child's birth.

For further queries consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|