Q. What is the risk of Down's in my wife's double marker report?

Dr. Sravanthi Nuthalapati
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 16, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Hi Doctor,

This is the report of Double Marker test of my wife:

Corrected MoM and calculated risks:

• fb-hCG 165 ng/ml 3.82 Corr. MoM
  • PAPP-A 1.84 mlU/ml o.45 Corr. MoM

Ultrasound data:

• Nuchal translucency 1.00 mm
  • CRL 60 mm 0.64 MoM
  • Gestational age by CRL 12+ 2 Nasal bone present
  • Gestational age on the day of serum taking 12+ 2

Risk at term:

• Biochem. risk +NT 1:356 (below cut off).
  • Double test >1:50 (above cut off).
  • Age risk 1:1515.
  • Trisomy 13/18 +NT.
#

To explain you the report in plain language, first of all, let me tell you that the dual marker test is just a screening test for Down's syndrome and other chromosomal anomalies like trisomy 13/18. So, the test involves calculation of the risk of carrying a Down's syndrome baby by the mother, which is then compared with the general population's risk.

In your case, although the risk based on serum markers is high, the combined risk taking into account the age, NT, and the markers is still below the cut-off.

So, it means it is a low risk.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|