Anti-rabies Vaccine

Can cat scratch be the reason for my dizziness and fatigue?

Query: Hi doctor,I am currently on sick leave from work because I feel very weak, tired, and I just wanted to take a rest. I have been scratched by a cat last week and had my antirabies shot and tetanus vaccine. I do not know if what I feel is connected to my vaccination, or is this only in my mind. What s...  Read Full »

Dr. Nagaraj Patil

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician, Diabetologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. Let me help you to my best, albeit remotely. I have noted that you already had your vaccination to protect you. So that is taken care of. There are multiple reasons why someone should feel tired and weak. Since how long have you been feelin...  Read Full »

Is antirabies vaccine mandatory for 7-year-old kid who is bitten by a small puppy?

Query: Hello doctor, We have a 3-month-old puppy with no antirabies vaccine yet. However, my 7-year-old daughter has been bitten near the wrist and unsure of what we need to do. She is not in pain but please advise.  Read Full »

Dr. Hardika Kothari

Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the clinical picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It is not very clear though I cannot see any wound or bleeding. It falls under category 2 and your child needs immunization antirabies along with tetanus toxoid shot. Before that, y...  Read Full »

Is it necessary to get vaccinated after a dog bite?

Query: Hi doctor, My child has a wound in his inner part of the foot. He is 3.6 years old. He is saying that a puppy bites him and also says injured from stone. We are confused and visited a doctor. He advised us to four doses of injection. Will it cause any side effect when there is no dog bite?  Read Full »

Dr. Deepak Patel

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. If you are in doubt that dog bite has occurred or not, then it is always advisable to give the antirabies vaccine. There is no harm in giving an antirabies vaccine. You should give anti-rabies vaccine because rabies is a fatal disease once it occurs and there is no treatm...  Read Full »

I was scratched by a nail of the dog. Do I need to do anything for that?

Query: Hello doctor,I was scratched by a nail of the dog a week back. Do I need to do anything for that? The dog died today, probably due to some other reason, and the dog was not vaccinated.  Read Full »

Dr. C Elanchezhian

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Are you sure the dog scratched by nail or teeth? Is any open wound or bleeding present at the time? Did the dog die due to rabies or any other cause? So many questions there. Better get ARV vaccination (anti-rabies vaccine). Since dog died, the reason not known take ...  Read Full »

I got dog bite and so I got a Rabipure vaccine and TT at the hip area. Do I require booster vaccination every year?

Query: Hello doctor, I got dog bite before 17 days, and the wounds are categorized as a category -II. Within an hour, I got a Rabipure vaccine and TT at the hip area. However, the next day morning, one more dose of Rabivax has been given in the shoulder and continued the schedule from the second day. My d...  Read Full »

Dr. Soheel Hussain Zargar

Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, there is no problem in injecting two dosages within 24 hours. Usually, the first, two shots are given after one another. Apart from that Tetanus toxoid is must that you have taken. It is not the case that the vaccine is ineffective. This is the usual protocol th...  Read Full »

Can dog-scratch cause rabies after 10 years?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a crazy dog that scratched me 10 years ago. So, I want to know whether that can lead me to rabies because I have never taken any anti-virus booster.  Read Full »

Dr. Lohit Chauhan

Family Physician, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. 10 years is quite a long time. It is highly unlikely that you can get rabies by an exposure 10 years back. Usually with infection of rabies virus, (through a bite of rabid animal) shows symptoms in 20 to 90 days. The period can be as long as more than a year. But I have n...  Read Full »

My puppy bit me. Do I need an anti-rabies vaccine?

Query: Hello doctor, Do I need an anti-rabies vaccine, because my 2 and a half-month-old puppy nipped me? It is barely a bite but I cleaned it and no symptoms seem to show up, my puppy is not vaccinated yet because it is too young. I am 18 years old.  Read Full »

Dr. Mashfika N Alam

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. If the bite was unprovoked and if it caused bleeding then you should get a course of anti-rabies vaccine plus a shot of tetanus immunoglobulin, to be on the safe side. Even though it is a pet, it is not immunized so the standard protocol is to get vaccinated if the abov...  Read Full »

Vaccinated dog bite my daughter. Is anti-rabies vaccine needed?

Query: Dear Doctor, My daughter is 5 years old. A vaccinated dog scratched her right hand with its teeth. There is no skin damage but deep red mark is visible. Is anti-rabies vaccine optional or compulsory for her?  Read Full »

Dr. E Venkata Ramana

Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Thank you for your query on icliniq.com. Let me explain the seriousness of the deep red marks simply : Visible deep red marks could mean a very small wound but it is still a large door for rabies virus to enter. If rabies has once developed, then it has no treatment. Prevention by anti-rabie...  Read Full »

Is rabies a contagious disease?

Query: Hello doctor, I was bitten by a dog 13 days ago. I took anti-rabies vaccine after 25 hours of the bite. I have taken three vaccines until now. I had oral sex with my wife and by mistake, I bit her at neck two days ago. Should she also receive the anti-rabies vaccine? The dog is still alive.  Read Full »

Dr. Kakkar

Dermatologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Contact with someone who is receiving rabies vaccination does not constitute rabies exposure and does not require post-exposure prophylaxis. For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist  Read Full »

Is vaccination needed for a non-rabies dog bite?

Query: Hello doctor, My daughter is 3 years old and has been bitten by a pet dog. The dog would not bite if not touched. It has been in our home for 10 years. It stays always at home. The dog does not have rabies. The dog is a Pomeranian breed.  The wound is not very deep but a slight cut on the upper ...  Read Full »

Dr. Deepak Patel

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Any bite from a dog needs a vaccination for rabies. If the cut is not very deep, it will fall under grade 1 of dog bites and it will definitely need antirabies vaccination and tetanus vaccination. In grade 1 bites, antirabies immunoglobin is not needed but vaccine sh...  Read Full »