Q. Will antirabies vaccination cause any side effect when there is no dog bite?

Dr. Deepak Patel
Published on Oct 25, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jul 26, 2019

My child has a wound in his inner part of the foot. He is 3.6 years old. He is saying that a puppy bites him and also says injured from stone. We are confused and visited a doctor. He advised us to four doses of injection. Will it cause any side effect when there is no dog bite?

Dr. Deepak Patel

Child Health Paediatrics
#

• If you are in doubt that dog bite has occurred or not, then it is always advisable to give the antirabies vaccine.
  • There is no harm in giving an antirabies vaccine. You should give anti-rabies vaccine because rabies is a fatal disease once it occurs and there is no treatment for that.
  • It is always advisable to give antirabies vaccine even if you are in doubt. Take care.

For further doubts consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

Being vaccinated, is it fine to get 2 doses of rabies vaccine now for dog bite?

Query: Hi doctor, I had 5 doses of rabies vaccine along with rabies immunoglobulin before two years. A month later again, I was bitten by a dog and took three doses of rabies vaccine. Then after a year when I was bitten by a dog, I had two doses of vaccine. Now, again, I was bitten by a stray dog and took ...  Read Full »

Can rabies spread by sharing a drink?

Query: Hello doctor,My roommate was scratched very lightly by a stray cat the other day. Then a couple of days later, I shared a drink with her. Could I get rabies?  Read Full »

Is rabies a contagious disease?

Query: Hello doctor, I was bitten by a dog 13 days ago. I took anti-rabies vaccine after 25 hours of the bite. I have taken three vaccines until now. I had oral sex with my wife and by mistake, I bit her at neck two days ago. Should she also receive the anti-rabies vaccine? The dog is still alive.  Read Full »