Q. Do antidepressants and birth control pill affect libido?

Dr. Albana Greca
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

I need your comments on the medications that affect libido. Mention some common drugs, such as antidepressants and birth control pills that can affect the sex drive.

Do you have a question on Antidepressants or Birth Control Pill?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Albana Greca

MBBS., MMEDSC
Family Physician General Practitioner

Antidepressants and antipsychotic medication are known to decrease libido, causing low sex desire.

Also Read Answers From: Antidepressants Birth Control Pill

I want to go off antidepressants but have trouble sleeping. What can I do?
Query: Hello doctor, I am 22 years old. I have been on the following antidepressants for two years. Morning: Modapex 50 one pill, Depakene, Lamotrigine 25 mg one pill. Night: Clozapex 25 mg half a pill, Mirtimash 30 g half a pill, Depakine Chrono 500 mg one pill, and Anafranil 75 mg half a pill. I used t...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Because of stopping the medication you have a problem with sleep. You should try some sleep medication for a short time and then taper it. I suggest tablet Diazepam 5 mg before sleep. It is Benzodiazepine group drug and long duration, but it is addictive. So, you mu...  Read Full

I have spotting while on Tri-Sprintec. Please help.
Query: Hi doctor, I have been taking the birth control pill, Tri-Sprintec for almost five years now. I started my new pack of pills on 19 of last month. I had intercourse twice on 20th and once on the 21st of last month. I used to take my pill between 7 and 8 AM. One day I had pill at 6:30 AM as I woke up ...  Read Full >>
Dr. Geeta Priyadarsini Kamminana

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The brown rusty vaginal discharge appears to be one of the side effects of Tri-Sprintec (combination of Norgestimate and Ethinyl estradiol). Irregular periods, unscheduled bleeding and vaginal spotting are side effects during the first few months of starting Tri-Sprinte...  Read Full

Ask a Doctor Now