Q. Can Yasmin birth control pill be used as an emergency contraceptive pill?

Dr. Balakrishnan. R
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 30, 2018 and last reviewed on: Jun 26, 2019

My fiancee and I had unprotected sex a few days back, but I did not ejaculate inside her. Just to be on the safer side, we wanted to use the emergency contraceptive pill.

But due to some restriction in the country where we live, Plan B or emergency contraceptive pills are not available. I read that Yasmin, which is used as a regular contraceptive pill can be used as an emergency contraceptive pill at a higher dosage.

Can Yasmin be used as an emergency contraceptive pill? And at what dosage?

#

How are you doing?

Yes, as you have heard, Yasmin can be used as an emergency pill.

Even if you have not ejaculated into her, she stands a chance of pregnancy if the pre-seminal fluid, the clear fluid that comes out before semen, which is rich in young healthy sperms, comes in contact with her genitals.

As soon as possible, earlier the better, I suggest taking four tablets of Yasmin (combination of Ethinyl Estradiol and Drospirenone) at the time, repeat four more tablets after 12 hours. This being a high dose of hormones, it will suddenly increase the inner lining of the uterus. Then as it is a single dose, the inner lining will fall off. This makes it unfavorable for the possible embryo or baby to settle into the uterus.

She will get her periods within 7 to 10 days of the last pill. But do not keep repeating this frequently, it can disturb the hormonal balance and can reduce the effectiveness of the pill. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines after their consent.

This is an old method, but it is an effective emergency method. Just do not delay the pills. As time passes by, the effectiveness reduces.

Hope I have clarified your query, do write back. All the best.

For further queries consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Thanks for your reply. We had some foreplay yesterday and to be safe, and she took four tablets of Yasmin and today morning, she took four more tablets.

We had sexual intercourse today evening, and she took four more tablets tonight. A total of 12 tablets has been taken. Should she stop taking these tablets? We are waiting for your advice.

#

Do not take any more tablets, as she has already taken four extra tablets. Anyway, that will not cause any damage to the contraceptive protection.

As I had mentioned, even before the bleeding starts or based on the calculation with periods, if you have sex again, then the failure of the method also can occur.

Do not keep taking the pills again, as it will disturb her hormonal balance, and her menstrual cycle will become irregular.

Do write back. All the best.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Thank you for the advice. She has never used any contraceptive pills, and this dose of Yasmin was taken only for emergency purposes.

The first day of the last period was on the first of this month. We have stopped taking Yasmin and will refrain from unprotected sex until next periods.

Can we assume that this medication will work if we refrain from sex until the next period? Will her periods be early or late due to this medication? Please advice.

#

Let me give you few more facts. Usually, ovulation occurs around the 12th to 16th day of the period. The life of an egg is 24 hours only, and that of the sperm is 72 hours. So, you can calculate your chances of pregnancy with her date. I feel that the chances are zero.

She has no chance of pregnancy if you use protection. Do not worry about the dose of the pills. Forgot the previous period date as all that will be overdriven by the Yasmin pill.

She should have her periods 7 to 10 days from the last dose. Now onwards, her periods will be a month from the next period date.

Hope I have clarified your doubt, do write back. All the best.

|