Q. Can Yasmin birth control pill be used as an emergency contraceptive pill?

Answered by Dr. R Balakrishnan Menon and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Birth Control Pill or I Pill? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »
Image: Can Yasmin birth control pill be used as an emergency contraceptive pill?

My fiancee and I had unprotected sex a few days back, but I did not ejaculate inside her. Just to be on the safer side, we wanted to use the emergency contraceptive pill.

But due to some restriction in the country where we live, Plan B or emergency contraceptive pills are not available. I read that Yasmin, which is used as a regular contraceptive pill can be used as an emergency contraceptive pill at a higher dosage.

Can Yasmin be used as an emergency contraceptive pill? And at what dosage?