Q. I am being emotionally abused. Please help.

Dr. Nidhi Jain Bukharia
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 02, 2015 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am 20 years old. I am an engineering college student. I have an younger brother. My parents have always been distant for as long as I remember and the beating, fighting and emotional abuse started around five years back. Now they started to fight with us too. My father always try to threaten us to do what he wants.  When I was very young, I had a passion for reading and I lost myself in books which made me absent minded to the world around me. As time passed on and a few horrific incidents in my life, I suppressed my memories even more and my emotions too. Now, I have emotions but I cannot recognize them or maybe I am confused with my emotions. I feel like there is something heavy in my heart. I do not know whether it is grief or depression. I became very suicidal and rushed to a doctor. He was not able to help me. My parents found out and I was punished. My father hit me and verbally abused me.

I saw another doctor and she diagnosed me as having anxiety disorder and she gave me some medicines. I used them for about a week and felt better. But the moment I stopped using those, I started to feel depressed again. My studies have been badly affected. Right now, I just want a proper diagnosis of my condition. I do not have any friends. All my friends left me because of my bad mood and sadness. When I express my issue they are thinking I am just bluffing. I do not know how to go on. Please help.

#

• You are having symptoms of both depression (sad mood, forgetfulness, depersonalization, feeling of helplessness, suicidal ideation, loss of concentration) and anxiety (restlessness, heaviness).
  • So, your diagnosis is mixed depression and anxiety disorder.
  • You need to take antidepressant and anti-anxiety medication for at least few years.
  • Take tablet Escitalopram 10 mg in the morning for 7 days and then hike it to 15 mg and continue. Take ablet Buspirone 5 mg twice a day.
  • Preventive measures are cognitive behavior therapy and family therapy. Contact me after 21 days for a review.

Review after 21 days to a psychiatrist online -->  https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

Thank you for your reply. How can I get those medicines without prescription? Due to my situation at home I cannot see a therapist right now. Are there any online counselling services? Or will you provide any therapy?

#

• I have mentioned the drug name. So, you can get medications from any big medical shop of any good brand.
  • You can get Nexito which is Escitalopram and BuSpar for Buspirone.
  • You must take medications regularly. They will start showing effect only after 7-10 days of use.
  • I will take few sessions of cognitive behaviour therapy by phone or video consultation, as needed.

For further information consult a psychiatrist online -->  https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

|