Q. I am being emotionally abused. Please help.

Answered by
Dr. Nidhi Jain Bukharia
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 02, 2015 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Hi doctor,

I am 20 years old. I am an engineering college student. I have an younger brother. My parents have always been distant for as long as I remember and the beating, fighting and emotional abuse started around five years back. Now they started to fight with us too. My father always try to threaten us to do what he wants.  When I was very young, I had a passion for reading and I lost myself in books which made me absent minded to the world around me. As time passed on and a few horrific incidents in my life, I suppressed my memories even more and my emotions too. Now, I have emotions but I cannot recognize them or maybe I am confused with my emotions. I feel like there is something heavy in my heart. I do not know whether it is grief or depression. I became very suicidal and rushed to a doctor. He was not able to help me. My parents found out and I was punished. My father hit me and verbally abused me.

I saw another doctor and she diagnosed me as having anxiety disorder and she gave me some medicines. I used them for about a week and felt better. But the moment I stopped using those, I started to feel depressed again. My studies have been badly affected. Right now, I just want a proper diagnosis of my condition. I do not have any friends. All my friends left me because of my bad mood and sadness. When I express my issue they are thinking I am just bluffing. I do not know how to go on. Please help.



Welcome to

  • You are having symptoms of both depression (sad mood, forgetfulness, depersonalization, feeling of helplessness, suicidal ideation, loss of concentration) and anxiety (restlessness, heaviness).
  • So, your diagnosis is mixed depression and anxiety disorder.
  • You need to take antidepressant and anti-anxiety medication for at least few years.
  • Take tablet Escitalopram 10 mg in the morning for 7 days and then hike it to 15 mg and continue. Take ablet Buspirone 5 mg twice a day.
  • Preventive measures are cognitive behavior therapy and family therapy. Contact me after 21 days for a review.

Review after 21 days to a psychiatrist online -->

Hi doctor,

Thank you for your reply. How can I get those medicines without prescription? Due to my situation at home I cannot see a therapist right now. Are there any online counselling services? Or will you provide any therapy?



Welcome to

  • I have mentioned the drug name. So, you can get medications from any big medical shop of any good brand.
  • You can get Nexito which is Escitalopram and BuSpar for Buspirone.
  • You must take medications regularly. They will start showing effect only after 7-10 days of use.
  • I will take few sessions of cognitive behaviour therapy by phone or video consultation, as needed.

For further information consult a psychiatrist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Generalized Anxiety Disorder(GAD)

that worsens with life stressors with the occurrence of negative life events ... stress of GAD ...   Read full

I feel sad and depressed. I get a lot of negative thoughts. Please help me.

Hello doctor, I am 34 years old mom of a 5 year old. I am excessively tired and have a need to sleep at all times. I had CBC done, and my eosinophils are high, and my MPV is low, but everything else came back fine. My body aches, and I feel horrible....   Read full

Postpartum Depression

History of bipolar disorder ... Family history of depression or other psychological disorders ...   Read full


Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Management of Coronasomnia
Coronasomnia refers to increased sleep problems among people during the COVID-19 pandemic. Read the below article to get...  Read more»
Balantidiasis - Causes, Signs and Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention
Balantidiasis is a rare bacterial infection caused by a parasite called Balantidium coli. Read the article below to know...  Read more»
JAK Inhibitors in Treating Rheumatoid Arthritis
Doctors mainly suggest JAK or Janus kinase inhibitors for patients with rheumatoid arthritis to ease their symptoms. Rea...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Psychiatrist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.