Q. I am using Klonopin for anxiety and it has got worsened. Kindly advice.

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 19, 2019 and last reviewed on: Sep 20, 2019

I have been diagnosed with major depressive disorder and take both Prozac and Wellbutrin daily. I also have extreme anxiety and take Klonopin. Lately, my anxiety has worsened to the point that the Klonopin does not help like it once did. I wake up almost every morning having a panic attack, and I do not want to leave my bed, but I have to function.

#

Anxiety disorder and related panic attacks are best managed by a combination of medication and psychological therapy like CBT. Prozac (Fluoxetine) is effective not only against depression but also helps with anxiety. Discuss with your doctor whether you are on the optimal dose. Klonopin (Clonazepam) is indicated only for short term management of stress. If used for a more extended period, Klonopin may lose effectiveness and cause dependence.

So discuss with your doctor whether it is recommended to continue Klonopin in this situation. In addition to medication, CBT is very effective against anxiety. If you had already done a course of CBT, consider having some booster sessions. Try deep breathing techniques and progressive relaxation exercises for 15 to 20 mins daily. It will help you to relax and manage stress better.

|