Q. Having panic attack, anxiety, and fear of brain tumour for past six years. Please help.

Dr. Hitesh Kumar
and medically reviewed by Nithila A
Published on May 04, 2019

I am a 27-year-old male. My weight is 255 lb, and I am a smoker. I suffer from panic attack, anxiety, and fear of cancer for six years. Right now I have been spending all my day reading about brain tumor because I think I have it since I have all the symptoms.

Two weeks ago I had a panic attack where I felt I could not breathe, and feeling fainting. After that day, my ears started hurting a little bit, and I started feeling lightheaded, which is very hard to explain. My head feels like I am drunk but it is not spinning. I have not slept for days.

I had this problem before when I had anxiety issues, and I went in urgent care, where they checked my ear and I did not have ear infection. The doctor said your neck muscle feels irritated and sore. He said it could be due to it or allergies. And he prescribed me nasal spray to use, but when I used that, I experience terrible headache with neck pain.

After two days, I had the feeling that I am about to pass out again, so I decided to go in the ER. I told the doctor I need MRI and may have a brain tumor, and she said I could not do MRI on you without doing a blood test, ECG, and some tests where she makes me walk in a straight line and, etc. My blood test and ECG came back 100 % good. My doctor said there is no need for an MRI. I doubt that how she knows I do not have brain cancer?

She gave me some pills for allergies, but I am not taking it because I think I have a brain tumor. I am a painter, and I paint houses, and I work 14 hours a day. I do not feel any tiredness just this feeling in my head is killing me. Do I have a brain tumor and am I going to die within a year? I do not have a loss of appetite or anything, and I am just really thinking that I have a brain tumor. What do you think my problem is?

#

Possibly you are very anxious with thoughts of having a brain tumor. It may be part and parcel of your previous anxiety problem, which might have increased recently. I suggest you consultant a psychiatrist for anxiety issues. For relieving your current thoughts and anxiety, you can get an MRI brain. Otherwise, your thoughts will keep on making you restless.

The doctor might have said of not having a tumor because you do not have a different kind of symptom. Still, you can get MRI done, to relieve these thoughts. But for further management, you should meet a psychiatrist.

T3, T4, TSH, serum vitamin B12.

Anxiety disorder.

Daily exercises in form of jogging and yoga.

So in your experience, you do not think this is is a brain tumor. In two days, I feel little better no headache and no brain fog. The family doctor said there is no need for an MRI. In ER they made me walk straight on the line, and they looked at my eyes and some other stuff. And they said you do not have a brain tumor. But how can they know I do not have a brain tumor when I have this feeling. I have not slept for days, but I still have energy, but my mind is so foggy.

#

No one can tell entirely based on clinical examination that there is no brain tumor. But your clinical history points more in favor of anxiety disorder, in which also patient can have similar symptoms like you having. Medical history and examination with medical tests all combined aide in making a diagnosis. And possible diagnosis are thought in a sequence of common ones to uncommon ones. To rule out a brain tumor, MRI will be needed. But if some other evident reason explains symptoms, then no one will keep on looking for other causes.

How can I overcome panic attack due to fear of the dark?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been experiencing what my mother says is a panic attack, but I am not sure because I only get racing thoughts, my heart races or beats really hard, and I feel shaky like I might cry (no other symptoms). I read that panic attacks peak at 10 minutes, but I feel this way for hours...  Read Full »

Could you please explain MRI brain and CSF studies related to NPH?

Query: Hello doctor,Can you please give the diagnosis of the uploaded MRI brain and CSF studies with a detailed report? Please advise on the action plan as to how to get the CSF findings treated. The MRI report is enclosed. Does the enclosed report co-relate with your findings? The MRI report CSF studies r...  Read Full »

Can meningioma be cured?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been diagnosed with a 5 x 5 x 3 mm meningioma in the superior frontal gyrus towards the cranial vertex. I would like to know if this will kill me or shorten my life. I also want information about anything regarding this, for example, recurrence, regrowth, etc.  Read Full »