Q. I lost interest in everything along with anxiety and fear of moving out. Kindly advice.

Dr. Ramchandra Lamba
and medically reviewed by Nithila A
Published on Aug 29, 2019 and last reviewed on: Aug 31, 2019

I have anxiety, fear of going outside, and get panic when there is any discussion on going out. Sometimes my chest feels heavy. I feel sad most of the time. Lost interest in everything. Please help.

Dr. Ramchandra Lamba

Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Sexology
#

It seems that you are suffering from depression and anxiety because the symptoms you mentioned indicates it.

1. Take adequate sleep.

2. Do regular exercise, i.e. go for a morning walk daily at least 45 minutes.

3. Take a healthy diet and avoid any substance like alcohol or tobacco.

4. Do breathing exercises or Jacobson progressive muscle relaxation. You can search for it and learn how to do this. Do things you like.

Take active part for going outside, start slowly and steadily. For example, first, take an active role in the discussion and then go out for only a few minutes then increase gradually. Whenever you feel panic, later try taking a deep breath and feel the moment and keep your thoughts to the present situation. You need to be persistent with these as these take time to overcome your fear.

Also, medicine from SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor) group such as Sertraline or Paroxetine can be helpful. Before starting medication try non-medical things as mentioned above. Visit a nearby psychiatrist for discussion regarding the drug. I hope this will help you.

Thanks a lot, Are there any side effects? of the mentioned drugs?.
And sir i feel very panicked sometimes. and ya i am. away from. home too.

Dr. Ramchandra Lamba

# welcome back.

The side effects of ssri group drug are usually not severe and includes headache, Sometimes sexual side effects that are not permanent and giddiness.

Thanks and regards

What can I do to manage anxiety attacks?

Query: Hi doctor, I get a type of anxiety and fear of going out somewhere. Six years ago, when I was in high school some guy gave me something to smoke. I did not know what it was. That day, I went home and I was high. The next morning I woke up fine and went to school. After some time, I started to feel l...  Read Full »

Generalized Anxiety Disorder(GAD)

Article Overview: A 35-year-old woman came to me with a chief complaint of muscle tension. She stated that she has experienced a considerable amount of muscle tension her entire life, but it has become increasingly worse over the last 12 months. Read Article

The above mentioned patient is suffering from Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD). GAD can be defined as anxiety and worry about several events and activities for a majority of the day. The anxiety and worry of GAD differs from normal anxiety by its excessiveness, the difficu...  Read Article