Q. What can I do to manage anxiety attacks?

Answered by
Dr. K. V. Anand
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on May 07, 2018 and last reviewed on: Aug 27, 2020

Hi doctor,

I get a type of anxiety and fear of going out somewhere. Six years ago, when I was in high school some guy gave me something to smoke. I did not know what it was. That day, I went home and I was high. The next morning I woke up fine and went to school. After some time, I started to feel like as if I need to smoke again. I started panicking and was sweating. I did not know what was going on with me. I felt so horrible though I was going crazy. I went to the emergency room and they gave me medicine. Also, I had some therapy and to be honest, I do not remember how it went away. Since then, I never felt that again. I do not know whether it is something that got stuck in my head. But, my life went on and I was good. Before three years, I went for vacation and I met my husband. I stayed over there for about eight months. I am married and I am 23 years old. We had so many problems. Our main thing was jealous. We used to fight for even little things. Two months ago, when I was at work, I started getting a panic attack like the one which I had almost six years ago. I think I got it because of all the problems I have in my marriage and my profession. I left for the hospital and I started crying. It has been such a horrible experience in my life ever since.

I just wanted to be at home since I knew I was not fine. Twice my fight with him ended up in the hospital. He started to get anxiety. I will cry and could not control myself so he had to get away from me. He left me and I went into depression. I was sad for the fact he left me and also because I just did not want to go out my house. It has been such a hard issue dealing with this. I have been taking medication. First, they gave me Lorazepam. I took it for a month or two, but it was bad and addicted. So, my doctor prescribed me Alprazolam. I have almost been taking it for six months. Sometimes, I take two to keep myself calm. I could not stop taking it and so I want your help. I want to be myself again. I want to know what can I do to slowly get rid of all this anxiety and depression. My husband has come back and living with me. It was so hard without him. I did not get anymore attacks. I just feel down for the reason I cannot go out because I am afraid to get anxiety attack or I just feel weird being out in the street like I do not belong. It is so hard to explain. I am here at home and I entertain myself on the internet. Please help me.



Welcome to

I went through all your details.

No panic attack itself is a positive development. This also shows that you are able to manage your anxiety disorder.

There are many aspects to your issue. The first substance abuse and resultant anxiety, relationship problems with your husband, your negative obsession with your life's little hassles, etc. But, I am not blaming you because these are quite common and nobody would foresee what could develop.

Being understood your basic problem, I would not like to give it a name or classify it. Let us call it just anxiety disorder, because you are having anxiety symptoms.

Panic attacks are always due to underlying anxiety disorder and therefore, we need to treat the anxiety disorder first.

I suggest you stop worrying about this because, according to me, it is 100% curable. We use medicines, psychotherapy methods, exercise, lifestyle changes and relaxation therapy. You are already having medicines. That is enough.

For the second part, as initial steps to the treatment, I suggest you to start physical exercise daily for one hour. On this aspect, you should start motivate yourself. Just continue with the exercise and believe your problem could be cured.

I also suggest you to contact me after a week. Please understand cure through therapy takes time. Be patient. With medicines, cure may not happen at all.

Revert back after a week to a psychiatrist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
What exercises will lead to normal delivery in a person with small cervical length?

.. needs to be checked again at 24 weeks for further advice. In general, twin pregnancy has a tendency for preterm labor. Your focus right now should be on preventing preterm labor rather than normal delivery. For normal delivery to happen, you do no...   Read full

What can cause panic attacks?

.. attacks and persistent anxiety, there is a need to get a medical checkup done. Hyperthyroidism, cardiac issues like angina, etc., could cause increased risk of panic attacks. So, if the panic attacks are persistent, then get one ECG done to rule ...   Read full

Penis enlargement exercises led to swollen veins on my shaft. Please guide me.

.. seen the images sent by you (attachment removed to protect patient identity). If there is a pain of veins, especially when you touch them, or any signs of inflammation, only then it is a thrombophlebitis of veins. In your case, it could be thromb...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Missed Miscarriage - An Overview
Sometimes a miscarriage occurs without knowledge, as typical signs may be absent. This is called a missed miscarriage. L...  Read more»
H3N2v Influenza - Treatment and Prevention
Management and prevention of an Influenza A virus variant include various treatment options and measures. The below arti...  Read more»
Flu A - Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis, Treatment and Prevention
The flu, or influenza, is a contagious viral infection that attacks the respiratory system. Flu A and B viruses are resp...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Psychiatrist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.