Q. Late night thoughts makes me overthinking. Why?

This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 07, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 09, 2020

Every night around 2-3 AM, any thought that crosses my mind makes me overthink about it. I am worried about such things that do not have a fixed solution. It may or may not happen. I've tried listening to meditating sounds, calming sound during that time but to no avail. After an hour or two I do get normal but then I am so full of energy that I cannot fall asleep so I get up and start some work. (I am a freelancer working from home).

I usually cannot sleep until my head feels heavy, eyes start closing and I start dozing off while working. For a few weeks, I have been sleeping in the afternoon or evening for three to five hours only. Rest of the time I am either thinking or working. Sometimes if I cannot stop thinking I smoke around two to three cigarettes to get over it. It does not help me sleep but helps me focus on work more and overthinking stops quite instantly.

#

Your blood report is absolutely normal (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and I do not think there is anything alarming. Yes, your lipid profile is deranged and if you are overweight then try to reduce weight. At your age, it is not common to see raised cholesterol.

Regarding the issues you have during sleep, in my opinion, this is probably occurring due to anxiety. You should seek a psychiatrist consultation for treatment. Improve your sleep hygiene and this will improve the symptoms. Avoid giving attention to minor things. Take a high protein diet and complex carbs and low in fats.

|