Q. Other than medicine, what are the available options for anxiety in a subclinical hyperthyroid person?

Dr. Rashi Verma
Published on Jan 12, 2019

I am a 52-year-old male that has suffered from anxiety and anxiety attacks for years. About a year ago during a stressful time, it got worse. It seemed I was nervous all the time, apprehensive, basically felt terrible. This only made anxiety worse, etc. I take a low dose of Klonopin and really do not like to take that. My doctor prescribed SSRI which seemed to make things worse. All the time affecting my functioning with my job and whole life. Recently, I was diagnosed with subclinical hyperthyroid. Scans and uptake all appear normal. She wants to put me on a low-dose of anti-thyroid medicine. I am so confused because I do not like taking medications but want to feel better. Will this help and can you ease my anxiety over taking the medicines?

Dr. Rashi Verma

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

I have read your query.

Anxiety requires a two-way approach for its management- psychotherapy, and medication. You may benefit most from a combination of the two. It may take some trial and error to discover which treatments work best for you.

Psychotherapy: This involves talking about your anxiety to a therapist so that you do not keep your fears to yourself. Not just a therapist, I feel you should talk about it with anyone you are comfortable with. You can make some lifestyle modifications too to help you. Be physically active. Develop a routine so that you are physically active most days of the week. Exercise is a powerful stress reducer. It may improve your mood and help you stay healthy. Start out slowly and gradually increase the amount and intensity of your activities.

Quit smoking, cut down alcohol and drinking coffee. Both nicotine and caffeine can worsen anxiety. Use relaxation techniques like meditations. Keep calm and breathe. Self-talk helps too. Make sleep a priority. Eight hours of sleep is considered adequate. Eat healthy.

Medications: This requires trial and error to choose a medicine that you can tolerate well. I feel SSRI's are a good choice. Please take the medicines for at least a month to see if you have adapted to it before switching to another one. And if you feel better with Klonopin, you can choose to take it.

Subclinical hyperthyroid: It is caused when the thyroid startshyperfunctioning but it is not detected clinically. Symptoms include palpitations, tremor, heat intolerance, sweating, nervousness, anxiety, reduced feeling of well-being, fear, hostility, and inability to concentrate. I feel your symptoms of anxiety are aggravated because of subclinical hyperthyroidism. So I would advise you to start taking antithyroid medicines as they would control the level of thyroid in the body and hence help in reducing the symptom.

Can Anxiety And Stress Cause Frequent Urination?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 34 year old male. I had anxiety issues since childhood. I have been jumping from one idea to another for a long time but it has been three years I have an issue with frequent urination. It started in a bad time for me when I was obsessing that I have HIV. No burning, just sligh...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query and understand your concerns. First of all, I like to state that the stress and anxiety can affect almost every organ of the body and polyuria is not an exception. In other words, yes the stress can cause almost all the symptoms narrated in your qu...  Read Full

I have got different opinions for my TSH value. Which one is correct?

Query: Hi doctor, I am very concerned about my health. I made an appointment last year with an endocrinologist. I had a laboratory work and my TSH was 3.4. It was considered normal on laboratory ranges. But, my primary doctor said that 3.4 is high on what it should be consider the new normal. My LDL chole...  Read Full >>

Dr. Bindiya Thakkar
Endocrinologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Work up of hypothyroidism involves just TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) or TSH and free T4. TT3 (triiodothyronine) or reverse T3 has no role in the diagnosis of hypothyroidism and it is useful in hyperthyroidism. TSH more than 10 is hypothyroidism and definitely need...  Read Full

Do I need drugs if TSH is between 6 and 8.9?

Query: Hello doctor, With TSH between 6 and 8.9 (today 7.5) and FT4 of 1.3 (normal), is it justified to prescribe Timazol or Carbimazole (both for hyperthyroidism cure)?  Read Full >>

Dr. Madhankumar
Family Physician, General Surgeon, Surgical Gastroenterologist, Fetal Medicine Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. With the given values, there is no need for these drugs. But in this scenario, I do not have any idea about the current prescriptions you are taking. So, with that information and lipid profile reports, I will be happy to guide you better.  Read Full

Ask an Endocrinologist Now