Q. Can anxiety or social disorder make someone apathetic?

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D
Published on Dec 26, 2018

I believe I have some form of social disorder. I do not have feelings like others. I do not feel empathy but can be empathetic on cue as I know the social cues. And I prefer to keep to myself. Can you please advise where I can be diagnosed? I have always thought it was anxiety as this has been a problem in the past. I realize I have never been in love and probably do not know what it really is. I have five kids and saw them all taking birth but I never felt joy or real happiness when they were born even though I knew I should be happy. I am taking Lexam 20 for anxiety.

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

Child Health Paediatrics Psychiatry
#

With the limited information you have provided, it is difficult to give an accurate opinion. It is possible you are describing some features of autism spectrum traits or Asperger syndrome which can manifest as social communication difficulties and anxiety. It is not uncommon and the majority do not even know they have autism spectrum traits. But whether you actually have enough features to reach the diagnostic threshold can only be confirmed after a detailed assessment.

Usually, people with autism spectrum traits would have displayed symptoms from their childhood and would have faced peer relationship difficulties at school. Check with your parents and siblings. Also, these traits can run in families. If your social difficulties and anxiety developed later on in life, it is unlikely to be due to an underlying neuro-developmental condition like autism spectrum condition. If you actually want to know whether you have the condition, speak to your local GP or family doctor about a referral to appropriate local specialist services.

Thank you for your quick response. I really appreciate it. I think it may be sociopathic. I am charming, can be social but it is hard work to pretend all the time that I am interested. My job as a maintenance superintendent is very involved in dealing with people so I am good at the social thing, just do not feel anything for it. How can I get help?

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

Child Health Paediatrics Psychiatry
#

From what you have described, your social interaction is more like an act and not coming naturally to you. Both autism spectrum condition and sociopaths can affect how someone thinks, feels and relates to others. Sociopathic tendencies can range in severity from occasional bad behavior to repeatedly breaking the law and getting into trouble with the criminal justice system. You will benefit by a detailed assessment including your earlier childhood developmental history, family history, etc., to help clarify whether you have sociopathic tendencies or autism spectrum traits or rarely a combination of both. It is possible that you do not have any of these traits to a significant degree that warrants additional intervention. But something has prompted you to seek help, so worthwhile exploring. What is important here is you are showing good insight and wants to get support to make yourself better.

You mentioned earlier about being treated for anxiety with Lexam 20. Did you receive it from your family doctor or GP or specialist psychiatrist? I would recommend contacting them again and sharing your thoughts. Depending on the outcome of the diagnostic assessment, some form of talking therapy like CBT (cognitive behavior therapy) or mentalization-based therapy can be considered if needed.

Other general advice that will be helpful is exercise regularly, avoid too much alcohol or other recreational substances, connect with a group of like-minded people to engage in some positive activities, volunteering, etc. Try to open up and talk to a trusted family member about your insecurities. You can try yoga or meditation.

I am depressed due to the guilt of ejaculating while sleeping in the same bed with my mother. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 55 year old male, and I have been suffering from depression due to extreme guilt from 22 years. I have been taking allopathic medicines, but my depression bounces back. Actually, my childhood, teenage, and adolescent was disturbing. My father always abused me, and my parents qu...  Read Full >>

Dr. Mehwish Mursaleen
Psychologist Counsellor

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I completely understand that you feel depressed and guilty due to past negative experiences in life. Multiple depressive episodes despite taking medication can be due to unresolved conflicts of childhood, which may reside in unconscious mind. Guilt is one of the factor...  Read Full

Can Anxiety And Stress Cause Frequent Urination?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 34 year old male. I had anxiety issues since childhood. I have been jumping from one idea to another for a long time but it has been three years I have an issue with frequent urination. It started in a bad time for me when I was obsessing that I have HIV. No burning, just sligh...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query and understand your concerns. First of all, I like to state that the stress and anxiety can affect almost every organ of the body and polyuria is not an exception. In other words, yes the stress can cause almost all the symptoms narrated in your qu...  Read Full

Ask a Psychologist Counsellor Now