Q. My sister got her periods in 15 days. Could it be due to her thyroiditis?

Dr. Sonal Prasad

This question is regarding my sister. She is 33 years old. She is a mother of 6 year old twins. Two months ago, she was diagnosed with thyroiditis. From the last month, she gets her periods, once every 15 days. Kindly tell me the probable reason and the course of action to be taken.

#

• Your sister has subclinical hypothyroidism. Start her on tablet Eltroxin (Thyroxine) 50 mcg, once daily, to be taken early in the morning on an empty stomach. Get the TSH levels repeated after three months.
  • Thyroid abnormalities may be one of the reason for menstrual irregularities. Please send her recent ultrasound reports, so that any additional cause can be ruled out.

Revert with more information to an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

I am attaching her thyroid profile and USG, done two weeks ago.

#

I have gone through the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• The ultrasound report is normal. The follicular cyst or corpus luteal cyst mentioned is due to ovulation and should not be a concern.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|