Q. What can be done for chronic anxiety with constant tachycardia?

I am a 24-year-old female who has been suffering with episodes of tachycardia and ventricular ectopic beats for 2 years now. I have had many testes domed on my heart, these include; various ECG’s, a 24-hour heart monitor, a 5-day heart monitor, a 7-day heart monitor and an echocardiogram. All of these testes came back normal (other than occasional ectopic beats and episodes of tachycardia ranging from 100-160).

Recently my ectopic beats have been a lot more intense. By this, I mean that I get a very large thud in my chest that makes me feel abit giddy and shook up. I have been to the doctors but nothing has come of it. I suffer with chronic anxiety but feel I am not loving my life because of this and the constant tachycardia. Could you give me some advice?

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

Your reports appear to be fine other than ectopics and probably sinus tachycardia, which are benign (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You should get your thyroid test and hemoglobin level done if not done recently. You should assure yourself that these are benign and will not cause any harm. You need to discuss with your doctor regarding withholding Salmeterol or use it to the minimum. It can cause or aggravate these. Also, coffee intake should be minimized. And if symptoms are too troublesome then you should discuss with your doctor regarding starting Betablockers or Calcium channel blockers, which would subside these, if not contraindicated in you.

| 

Thank you for your reply. This is reassuring. Does my QT interval look normal on these ECG’s? I once was told my QTC was 560 which really panicked me, but it usually is normal, I worry I will die from long QT. Also should I worry if my ectopic beats become more instense and more forceful?

#

QTc is normal in attached tracings, so unlikely to long QT syndrome and unlikely to die from it. As you do not have any structural heart disease, ectopics are not worrisome even if they intense and forceful. You may use some mobile based ecg monitors at home like kardia device, to monitor its frequency.

| 

Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD) - Symptoms, Signs, Causes, and Treatment

Article Overview: GAD patients worry excessively and persistently throughout the course of the day. They are constantly anticipating the worst about family, health, finance, and the future. Learn about the symptoms, signs, causes, and treatment of GAD. Read Article

Dr. Vasantha K S

What Is Generalized Anxiety Disorder? Generalized anxiety disorder is a mental illness where the patient has anxiety not just to particular situations but nearly every activity of the day. They are too obsessed with money, family, work, and relationships. What Is Generalized Anxiety Disorder ICD-1...  Read Article

Would LAD lesion cause tachycardia?

Query: Hi doctor, I have tachycardia (resting heart rate 125 bpm) while just walking around the house and not doing much. My heart rate was about 160 bpm. I do get chest pains and tightness. I also have a 70% LAD lesion. My question is would the lesion be causing my tachycardia? Should I consult my cardiol...  Read Full »

I have inappropriate sinus tachycardia. Should I get a pacemaker?

Query: Hi doctor, I had been diagnosed with inappropriate sinus tachycardia nearly two years back. I have dizziness, chest pain, shortness of breath, not able to exercise, and anxiety. I am currently managing my symptoms with Ivabradine 5 mg, once a day, but the quality of life is very poor due to which ...  Read Full »