Q. What can be done for chronic anxiety with constant tachycardia?

Answered by
Dr. Sagar Ramesh Makode
and medically reviewed by Dr. Divya Banu M
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 08, 2020

Hello doctor,

I am a 24-year-old female who has been suffering with episodes of tachycardia and ventricular ectopic beats for 2 years now. I have had many testes domed on my heart, these include; various ECG’s, a 24-hour heart monitor, a 5-day heart monitor, a 7-day heart monitor and an echocardiogram. All of these testes came back normal (other than occasional ectopic beats and episodes of tachycardia ranging from 100-160).

Recently my ectopic beats have been a lot more intense. By this, I mean that I get a very large thud in my chest that makes me feel abit giddy and shook up. I have been to the doctors but nothing has come of it. I suffer with chronic anxiety but feel I am not loving my life because of this and the constant tachycardia. Could you give me some advice?



Welcome to

Your reports appear to be fine other than ectopics and probably sinus tachycardia, which are benign (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You should get your thyroid test and hemoglobin level done if not done recently. You should assure yourself that these are benign and will not cause any harm. You need to discuss with your doctor regarding withholding Salmeterol or use it to the minimum. It can cause or aggravate these. Also, coffee intake should be minimized. And if symptoms are too troublesome then you should discuss with your doctor regarding starting Betablockers or Calcium channel blockers, which would subside these, if not contraindicated in you.

Hi doctor,

Thank you for your reply. This is reassuring. Does my QT interval look normal on these ECG’s? I once was told my QTC was 560 which really panicked me, but it usually is normal, I worry I will die from long QT. Also should I worry if my ectopic beats become more instense and more forceful?



Welcome back to

QTc is normal in attached tracings, so unlikely to long QT syndrome and unlikely to die from it. As you do not have any structural heart disease, ectopics are not worrisome even if they intense and forceful. You may use some mobile based ecg monitors at home like kardia device, to monitor its frequency.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Generalized Anxiety Disorder(GAD)

that worsens with life stressors with the occurrence of negative life events ... stress of GAD ...   Read full

Can anxiety and stress cause frequent urination?

I use to get those episodes every few months when I had stress but since I got the fear it might never go away I get it almost daily now ... Can anxiety cause polyuria like this clear urine when I am stressed ...   Read full

Can heart palpitations, tachycardia and shortness of breath due to mitral valve stenosis?

.. to be due to anxiety. To exclude any valvular disorder, the cardiologist will auscultate your heart carefully, if he listens any abnormal sound he may advise echo, otherwise no need. Regarding palpitations, better have an ECG done at the time of s...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Coronavirus Variant Arcturus: | Omicron XBB.1.16 Variant
Arcturus is an emerging variant of the Omicron virus that causes various symptoms and spreads rapidly across the world. ...  Read more»
Adrenaline Rush - Symptoms, Causes, Effects, and How to Control
Adrenaline is a hormone responsible for fight or flight response. It is also a neurotransmitter and medicine. It is also...  Read more»
Fatty Liver - Types, Symptoms, Stages, and Treatment
The liver is the largest gland in the body. Its primary function is to process the food and drinks we consume. and filte...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Cardiologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.