Q. Can heart palpitations, tachycardia and shortness of breath due to mitral valve stenosis?

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq

I am suffering from heart palpitations (especially when I lie down or do some physical activity), shortness of breath, tachycardia for the past three months. I am taking Propranolol (20 mg per day) for this. Propranolol is controlling trachycardia a bit. In stress my condition worsens. I think (my own opinion) that I might have mitral valvular stenosis. What do you say regarding my condition?

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq

Cardiology General Practitioner
#

It seems to be due to anxiety. To exclude any valvular disorder, the cardiologist will auscultate your heart carefully, if he listens any abnormal sound he may advise echo, otherwise no need. Regarding palpitations, better have an ECG done at the time of symptoms or alternatively 24 hours ECG may be done.

Avoid stress, anxiety, do regular exercise or brisk walk, reduce weight if you are overweight. Avoid any such thing people usually are addicted to. Reduce tea, coffee. Deep breathing is a good exercise to reduce anxiety, get up early in the morning and do this before or after fair prayer.

| 

Why do I have tachycardia and dyspnea at night?

Query: Hi doctor, I have tachycardia, and dyspnea at night. It causes sleep disturbance. Please help.  Read Full »

My report says MV annulus is out of range. What does that mean?

Query: Hi doctor,I just received the results of my 2D echo, and the MV annulus is out of range with a reading of 1.6, the normal range being 3.5 to 4.5. What does this mean? Otherwise, everything is normal.  Read Full »

Novel combined Procedure used to save severely infected patient of valve replacement at Aware Global Hospitals

Article Overview: Novel combined Procedure used to save severely infected patient of valve replacement at Aware Global Hospitals Read Article

Dr. Amarendra Singh

May 17, 2013: A 43 year old patient was brought to the hospital in the last week of April 2013 following severe abdominal pain, fever and breathlessness. She is a postoperative case of CABG with Mitral valve replacement done 5 years back. Ultrasound and CT scan of abdomen showed a large pus cav...  Read Article