Q. Can heart palpitations, tachycardia and shortness of breath due to mitral valve stenosis?

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq

I am suffering from heart palpitations (especially when I lie down or do some physical activity), shortness of breath, tachycardia for the past three months. I am taking Propranolol (20 mg per day) for this. Propranolol is controlling trachycardia a bit. In stress my condition worsens. I think (my own opinion) that I might have mitral valvular stenosis. What do you say regarding my condition?

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq

Cardiology General Practitioner
#

It seems to be due to anxiety. To exclude any valvular disorder, the cardiologist will auscultate your heart carefully, if he listens any abnormal sound he may advise echo, otherwise no need. Regarding palpitations, better have an ECG done at the time of symptoms or alternatively 24 hours ECG may be done.

Avoid stress, anxiety, do regular exercise or brisk walk, reduce weight if you are overweight. Avoid any such thing people usually are addicted to. Reduce tea, coffee. Deep breathing is a good exercise to reduce anxiety, get up early in the morning and do this before or after fair prayer.

|