Q. Why do I have anxiety attacks soon after I wake up?

Dr. Ramchandra Lamba
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 25, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am 24 years old, and I weigh 80 kg. My height is 5 feet 7 inches. I have anxiety and depression from many days. Anxiety starts as soon as I wake up and it lasts for a few minutes. I calm down for a while and then again it starts. It occurs every day like a cycle without any reason. The anxiety and depression last for the entire day. I have migraines too. When these three occur together, it feels like hell. I lose concentration. I feel like freaking out, and my mind does not work. Whenever I sleep for too long or if I have lack of sleep these symptoms tend to increase. I have insomnia also. I am comfortable staying awake the entire night and sleep during the daytime. I am losing my social life because of these problems. The only thing I can do is just study for a while and prepare my food. That is it. Please suggest medications for these symptoms.

Dr. Ramchandra Lamba

Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Sexology
#

You are having multiple problems. So, along with the medicines, you need to do regular exercise and maintain a good sleep hygiene. Also, try identifying the triggers for your headaches and try avoiding them.

Secondly, in such situations, SSRIs (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) such as Fluoxetine or Paroxetine can be helpful. Psychotherapy is also recommended.

For migraine prophylaxis, I suggest Propranolol as it helps to lower the anxiety.

Initially, for a few days, I suggest you try Benzodiazepine such as Clonazepam first to take care of your anxiety and insomnia and then the SSRIs.

I suggest pain-relieving medication such as Naproxen to be used on an as-needed basis. These are prescription drugs. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him/her and take the above medications with their consent.

Thanks and regards.

For more information consult a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

| 

I have got Betacap TR (Propranolol), Fludac (Fluoxetine) and Clonazepam dispersible tablets. Please tell me how to use them and their dosages. Thanks.

Dr. Ramchandra Lamba

#

I suggest you take tablet Betacap TR 40 mg and Fludac 20 mg in the morning after breakfast and tablet Clonazepam 1 mg at night for first seven days and then SOS (as and when required) basis.

You can use Clonazepam if you have severe anxiety. These drugs may take 2 to 3 weeks to show their effect. Meanwhile, continue exercise, sleep hygiene and avoid trigger of a headache. I wish you a fast recovery.

For further information consult a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

|