Benzodiazepine

To stop continuous panic attacks, which drug can be taken other than Clonazepam?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been on Klonopin that is Clonazepam prescribed before 14 years for panic attacks and anxiety. I am currently on the 2 mg dosage and taking it four times a day. This is monitored every few months by my family doctor. For the past one week, I have noticed that I have been experienc...  Read Full »

Psychiatrist, Sexologist, Psychotherapist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. Anxiety and panic disorders are serious disorders and tend to recur. Clonazepam is a benzodiazepine drug and have good efficacy in controlling the symptoms of anxiety. The drug can control panic symptoms effectively but is not the treatment ...  Read Full »

My friend forgets her identity sometimes. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I have a friend suffering from identity confusion. She resorts to create several characters to identify what she is feeling. Each character has its one likes and dislikes and people it trusts. She usually has a smooth change in between characters, but this time the change is not going ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Dissociative identity disorder (DID) is a rare psychiatric disorder in which individuals develop two or more personalities in their life. Identity of one personality is usually not known by other and the disorder is not commonly seen and difficult to diagnose. She is s...  Read Full »

How long does it take for Desvenlafaxine to be effective?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 42 years old male. I had low mood with anxiety problem around two years back. I was on Desvenlafaxine 50 mg ER tablet prescribed by GP. I took it for around eight months and felt better. Then I consulted my psychiatrist and told that I have only anxiety. So, he prescribed Clonazepa...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. Desvenlafaxine is a good antidepressant and anti-anxiety drug. The drug should be continued for long time to see its full effects. Drugs like Benzodiazepines (Clonazepam, Alprazolam or Nitrazepam) can help to control anxiety symptoms i...  Read Full »

How long can Benzodiazepines be detected in the urine?

Query: Hi doctor, How long will a Benzodiazepine that is Valium and Nitrazepam remain detectable through urinalysis? The drug has not been used so long, may be of seven to eight days. What is the best method of detoxification?  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The duration for the urine toxicology screen being positive depends upon the type of Benzodiazepines being used. In light of the two drugs you mentioned, it may stay positive until a week or so. Regarding detox, there are two different ways of doing it and it depends upon...  Read Full »

Will Phenibut and Kratom cause any effect on Benzodiazepine during general anesthesia?

Query: Hello doctor, I am going to be under general anesthesia in coming days for surgery. I did let my pre-op nurse know and wrote down all current medicines and supplements but have a question about 2 supplements. As I am not going to take them the night before anyways but just wanted insight. The first...  Read Full »

Dr. Yatish Anant Jadhav

Anesthesiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are taking 2 drugs one of which is Psychoactive compound (Kratom) while other one is mind calming magnet (Phenibut). If you are taking those drugs since long time then you may have some tolerance to Opioids/Benzodiazepines/other sedative anesthetic medicines. So I w...  Read Full »

Is there any alternative for Benzodiazepines in treating anxiety and PTSD?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 26 years old and suffer from severe anxiety and PTSD. For about five years, I have been on a variety of Benzodiazepines. Right now, I am on 2 mg Xanax four times a day. It is better than nothing, but I have built up such tolerance benzodiazepines hardly work for me. I know the on...  Read Full »

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician, Psychiatrist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As you rightly commented, Xanax and other Benzodiazepines are not helpful in the long term management of anxiety as they cause dependence. You become tolerant, and they do not work. At best, Benzos can be used sparingly for the short term only. Barbiturates are no lo...  Read Full »

Can Xanax be used for ADHD?

Query: Hi doctor, My son, who is 26 years old, now has been diagnosed with ADHD when he was 5 years old. He went to various psychiatrist to make sure that he is actually ADHD. Six doctors confirmed that he has ADHD and two doctors said he has bipolar disorder. He says that he was given Xanax as a treatment...  Read Full »

Dr. Nidhi Jain Bukharia

General Practitioner, Psychiatrist, Psychologist Counsellor, Sexologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder also called as ADHD is a problem with hyperactivity and decrease attention. Bipolar disorder is the disorder in which increase talk, tall claims, decrease need for sleep and high energy are the most common symptoms. Xanax (Alpr...  Read Full »

How to reduce the dosage of Xanax gradually?

Query: Hello doctor, I am taking tablet Alprazolam 5mg (three tablets, a total of 1.5mg) at bedtime. I do not take any Alprazolam or any other benzodiazepines during the day. Also, I started taking Alprazolam about 6-8 months ago. Originally this was for a short period of insomnia due to a life situation w...  Read Full »

Andrologist, General Practitioner, Geriatrician, Psychiatrist, Psychologist Counsellor, Psychotherapist, Sexologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thanks for your detailed query which is self explanatory about the problem. It was lengthy but it contained only relevant thoughts necessary to express your deep rooted concern. First of all feeling nervous or anxious is common term and if you do not know what it mean...  Read Full »

Is it safe to continue Benzodiazepine for a longer period?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 29 years old male, with height 5' 10" and weight 75 kgCurrently, I am on 1. Clonazepam 2 mg one tablet during the night. 2. Trazine-S half tablet during night. I have been suffering from a borderline personality disorder (BPD) along with symptoms of anxiety, panic disorder, extrem...  Read Full »

Dr. Vishal Anilkumar Gandhi

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If it is the requirement of Benzodiazepines than you need to take for long periods. There is nothing wrong to take medication for a long time if you are stable on it. Theoretically and ideally, Benzodiazepine should be tapered off within four weeks, but in clinical p...  Read Full »

My mother is unable to sleep even after taking Stalopam. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, My mother is 51 years old. Over 9 years she is unable to sleep properly either in the day as well as night. She started to feel irritated and we consulted one of our family doctor and he suggested to start Stalopam plus. But now a days even after taking the same medicine she is not gettin...  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the prescription attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Diagnosis was anxiety with insomnia for which Stalopam plus (Escitalopram) was prescribed. It seems she has developed tolerance to this drug. So, either dose should be in...  Read Full »