Benzodiazepine

Shall I take Lonazep and Sove for anxiety and sleep issue. Will it cause any side effect?

Query: Hi doctor, I have noticed two problems in me. I have these problems for three months. I have disturbed sleep on several days and erectile issues (sustaining erection during intercourse). I am a hypothyroid patient for two years (I take thyroxine Sodium 100 mcg). I have high myopia (-10 power in bot...  Read Full »

Dr. Vandana Patidar

Psychiatrist, Psychotherapist, Psychologist Counsellor, Sleep Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are not following the right direction regarding medicines. There are two types of treatment such as primary medicine like SSRI (e.g., Vilazodone) and supportive medicines like Sove and Benzodiazepines like Lonazep. We can take an example. If you have malaria or deng...  Read Full »

Do benzodiazepines help in controlling anxiety?

Query: I currently take 5mg Trintellix and 400mgs Gabapentin a day. We have recently reduced my Trintellix from 10mg and stopped 100mg Zoloft. My anxiety is horrible. I'm very irritatable and agitated easily and really want to bust out crying many times throughout the day. My chest/throat is very heavy...  Read Full »

Dr. Vandana Patidar

Answer: Hello, Innova zoloft was decreased, were you facing some side effects? In my opinion zoloft is a SSRI class of drug which is one of the best anti anxiety and anti depression medicines. if you were stable on that medicine this is not a wise decision to switch it. if you had any side effect we co...  Read Full »

I am gaining weight with Paroxetine and Mirtazapine. Can I use Zoloft?

Query: Hi doctor, I have OCD and bipolar depression. I am taking Paroxetine and Mirtazapine for OCD and sleep respectively. I am gaining too much weight. Can I switch to Zoloft?  Read Full »

Psychiatrist, Sexologist, Psychotherapist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. Both Mirtazapine and Paroxetine are known to cause weight gain. Sertraline (Zoloft) also causes some weight gain. So, in my opinion shifting to Sertraline will not be a good idea. Other SSRIs (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor) like Flu...  Read Full »

How long does Lexapro take to start working?

Query: Hi doctor, I had recently had several hospital stays for spikes in blood pressure due to years of stress with a sick child. Nothing organically was found. Anxiety might be the key. I was put on 5 mg of Lexapro at night, which made me anxious and gave me insomnia. Then, another doctor gave me Buspa...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If Lexapro (Escitalopram) caused insomnia, then it is better to take the drug in the morning after breakfast. This drug is an SSRI drug (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor) and helps to reduce depressive symptoms when taken regularly. Buspirone is an anti-anxiety ...  Read Full »

How can I manage withdrawal symptoms of Benzodiazepine and Alprazolam?

Query: Hi doctor, I took Benzodiazepine Alprazolam for insomnia for 2 months for a total dose of 30 mg, while stupidly attending college parties and binge drinking once a week during the period (I have never taken the pill on the day I was drinking). I did not take the drug every day and after roughly two...  Read Full »

Dr. Darakhshan

Pharmacologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. People taking Alprazolam should not combine it with alcohol and avoid combining it with other medications, such as narcotic pain relievers, that cause drowsiness. Doing so can cause additive drowsiness and reduced breathing as well as other side effects, which can be da...  Read Full »

What are the causes of panic attacks?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been having panic attacks for the past 13 years. I have been to the hospital on multiple occasions and have been diagnosed with anxiety attacks every time. I have had EKGs and blood work done. All the reports are fine. Sometimes, I am having multiple panic attacks in a day and also...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. For panic attacks and persistent anxiety, there is a need to get a medical checkup done. Hyperthyroidism, cardiac issues like angina, etc., could cause increased risk of panic attacks. So, if the panic attacks are persistent, then get one ECG done to rule out heart cause...  Read Full »

How can Tramadol replace Ketamine in treating major depression?

Query: Hello doctor, My 19-year-old son is suffering from major depression and has been on at least four different medications, ECT and Ketamine treatments. ECT and the Ketamine seem to show the best results so far but are short-lived. And I hate to keep shocking his brain if this is not going to work (...  Read Full »

Dr. Parth Nagda

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Resistant or long-standing depression needs treatment with a mood stabilizer that has not been given the list on ongoing medicines. I would recommend that you add a mood stabilizer like Divalproex sodium or Lithium Carbonate. It will help hold the mood in place once ...  Read Full »

How do Benzodiazepine work on anxiety and panic attacks?

Query: Hello doctor, I currently suffer from anxiety attacks and panic attacks. It has been changing over the course of about four years, getting better and worse again. In everyday life it is manageable, but the attacks cause some unreasonable thoughts and ideas to form. I have heard about the use of Ben...  Read Full »

Dr. Parth Nagda

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Anxiety and panic attacks are extremely common and 15 to 20 percent of people suffer from this issue at some point in their lives. Standard treatment for anxiety is the use of SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor) type of medicines. They are usually given for...  Read Full »

To stop continuous panic attacks, which drug can be taken other than Clonazepam?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been on Klonopin that is Clonazepam prescribed before 14 years for panic attacks and anxiety. I am currently on the 2 mg dosage and taking it four times a day. This is monitored every few months by my family doctor. For the past one week, I have noticed that I have been experienc...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. Anxiety and panic disorders are serious disorders and tend to recur. Clonazepam is a benzodiazepine drug and have good efficacy in controlling the symptoms of anxiety. The drug can control panic symptoms effectively but is not the treatment ...  Read Full »

My friend forgets her identity sometimes. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I have a friend suffering from identity confusion. She resorts to create several characters to identify what she is feeling. Each character has its one likes and dislikes and people it trusts. She usually has a smooth change in between characters, but this time the change is not going ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Dissociative identity disorder (DID) is a rare psychiatric disorder in which individuals develop two or more personalities in their life. Identity of one personality is usually not known by other and the disorder is not commonly seen and difficult to diagnose. She is s...  Read Full »