Q. I was diagnosed with hard macular drusen. Can this turn into something serious?

Dr. Shikha
Published on May 29, 2017

Two years ago, I was diagnosed with mild hard macular drusen. As of last week, my doctor suggested treatment has been AREDS 2 eye vitamins, healthy eating, and cardio exercise. I have started everything along with my regular vitamins. I do not smoke or drink, and I do not have a family history of a macular generation. Can you give me more information? Can this turn into something more serious? My doctor has said that it has been the same for years, and these new treatments are preventative. Do you have any additional suggestions or recommendations? I am 25 lbs overweight, and I am currently trying to lose weight. So far, I have lost 40 lbs. I am 53 years old, and my height is 5.5 feet. I do not have any other health related issues, but I am pre-hypertensive

Dr. Shikha

General Practitioner Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

• Based on your explanation, I can tell you have a dry variant of ARMD (age-related macular degeneration). This is an age-related change, and your treatment is going fine. This is the treatment recommended for this disease. No other treatment has come till date for this disease.
  • It's wet variant is more dangerous and in follow-ups, we have to look for any conversion of the dry type to a wet type. And then other treatment modalities comes up like the intravitreal injection.

For further queries consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

Thank you for the information. My doctor has indicated that I have dry macular drusen, but it has yet to turn into ARMD or may never turn into that. It may or never turn into ARMD. Is that a correct statement?

Dr. Shikha

#

• Dry drusens means you have dry ARMD. It can convert into wet ARMD and lead to fluid and membrane formation. No one can say that it will never be converted into a wet ARMD. You will have to keep on following it up with your ophthalmologist.

For more information consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

Do you have any thoughts on promising drugs for dry AMD?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 63 years old. I was diagnosed with dry intermediate AMD about five years back. The VA then was 20/25 and now it is 20/60. I am currently on AREDS. I am a non-smoker. I have an excellent health otherwise. The Amsler is normal. The recent OCT showed no fluid. Do you have any thoug...  Read Full »

From the reports, can you tell me if I have ARMD or CSR?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 44 years old. 15 days ago, my left eye vision started getting distorted. I have no pain, and I never had any eye problem nor did anyone in my family. I went to the doctor, and the doctor did not give me any diagnosis so far. After a few scans, first one was taken 10 days ago and t...  Read Full »

What causes dull headache that does not shift?

Query: Hello doctor, Three weeks ago, I had headache in late night. I managed to sleep, but it was still there in the morning. It was unilateral headache on the left side of my head. Pain is in my temporal area which sometimes radiates across my cheek and even down my jaw, as well as on the top left of my...  Read Full »