Q. My IOL needs a replacement even after my cataract. Should I go ahead?

Dr. Shikha

I underwent cataract surgeries in both eyes when I was 17 years old. I am now 31. Two years ago, my right eye lOL was dislocated. Hence, I discussed this with an eye doctor who advised me to perform the surgery again. The surgery was done, and the old IOL in the right eye was removed. Iris suture fixation of a new IOL was done. The old IOL was a single piece, but the new one has three pieces. Can I know the difference between the two? I enquired with my doctor as to why my old IOL was removed? He replied that it was due to the discrepancy in the size of my eye and of the IOL that the old IOL had to be replaced. Is it possible?

#

• Yes, as you grow, the eyeball size also grows. You have undergone cataract surgery at quite a young age. It is only at that time it is usually told that a repeat surgery may be required in terms of lens exchange.
  • The single piece and three pieces are only related to the material of the IOL (intraocular lens) either for making a haptic or an optic lens. It has nothing to do with your problem.

For more information consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

Thank you for your kind reply. I have undergone an iris suture fixation of an IOL. Is there a possibility that the fixation might break? Please advice.

#

No, it is not that easy for an iris suture fixation to break until you experience a head trauma severe enough to damage your skull.

After my left eye cataract surgery, I was asked to wear glasses with a spherical power of -1.50. May I know the reason? Can a cataract form again after I have had my surgery as I am wearing glasses with a spherical power of -1.50? Or will my IOL lose power? Please advice.

#

The reason for repeating the surgery is due to the growth of the eye, and that is the reason why the power of the eye also changes. It is different from person to person. The extent of growth is not fixed, and not much of correction can be done at the first surgery.

• This spherical power will be beneficial to you in the future with respect to presbyopia (normal loss of near focusing ability that occurs with age). A lens does not help lose power.
  • Further, a cataract forms only in a natural lens which is removed totally at the time of the cataract surgery. It does not form in artificial lenses. Only a secondary cataract or an aftercataract is what develops from an artificial lens. In this case, a layer develops behind the IOL (intraocular lens), and it is cleared later with the help of a laser surgery.

|