Q. Baby placed with tracheostomy & gastrostomy tube. Doubt regarding aspiration.

Dr. E Venkata Ramana
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 16, 2014 and last reviewed on: Dec 11, 2018

My baby has undergone hospitalization many times since birth. She has been placed with tracheostomy and gastrostomy tube due to which mobility of the baby is not possible.

We are consulting with renowned ENT surgeons and pediatric doctors and we had been told that ''the aspiration can be due to poor co-ordination and tracheostomy tube placement for long period. Once decannulation is tolerated by baby, then the aspiration problem will not persist''.

Now they have told us to wait and concentrate on the baby's weight gain. But we want to take a second opinion from you. So, please suggest proper steps to be taken from our end.

#

The aspiration of feeds is due to the presence of bulbar palsy and palate pharyngeal muscle incoordination. As per the doctor's advise, try to improve the nutrition of the child and weight.

Once the child gains a proper weight, then decannulation (removing tracheostomy tube) can be planned depending on the child's fitness. Be in follow-up with the doctor.

The child will be fine.

For further queries consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

|