Q. Under what circumstances is a PEG tube advised?

My father is a 93-year-old with well-controlled congestive heart failure who has been weakened by two weeks in the hospital to the point where he can not take food in without aspiration risk. We are considering a peg tube. Can doctors deny him this procedure based on age or his conditions? Also, we would like to get an IV tube for fluids for him at home. What would be the course of action there? Please guide.

#

I read your query and understand your concerns. My simple answer to your question is no, provided the risks of placing a PEG (percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy) tube are less than its benefits to a debilitated patient. I also like to inform you that placing a peg tube is often a simple procedure and risks are generally very low. Therefore, it is understandable that placing a peg tube can provide him survival which is his right, and doctors in his care are supposed to protect his right to live. Regarding the IV (intravenous) fluids tube, I would like to inform you that this is less favorable than the peg tube as it is not possible to provide everything through IV fluids. I hope this answers you. Feel free to write back to me if you have more questions.

Thanks and regards.

|