Q. Can colon spasm cause G-J tube to pop out?

Dr. Happykumar Kagathara
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 28, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 12, 2020

This patient had a G-J tube inserted two weeks ago. Is it possible to pop out of the body on its own after two weeks? Would the symptom of diarrhea caused by colon spasms produce enough pressure to pop out both the balloon type and bumper type feeding tube? Please clarify.

Dr. Happykumar Kagathara

Medical Gastroenterology Surgical Gastroenterology
#

• It is not possible by any reason for a G-J tube (gastrostomy-jejunostomy tube) to pop out unless the fixation was done adequately.
  • Colon spasm may cause obstruction sometimes and in this situation, it is not advisable to continue G-J tube feeding.
  • In such cases, in spite of tube coming out, content loaded in stomach due to obstruction might come out from the tube. More near the obstruction from tube, more profound the symptoms.
  • It is unlike that large intestine obstruction may reach up to this level, but rare possibility is there.

For further information consult a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

| 

I am a nurse. I heard a pop and the feeding tube came out on its own. It was not pulled out by the patient, whom I had been watching on a 1:1 assignment. Also, the patient has diarrhea, which is a symptom of colon spasm. Can this cause pressure on the tube to pop out?

Dr. Happykumar Kagathara

#

• It is very unlikely that G-J tube come out by its own secondary to colonic obstruction induced obstruction.
  • In such case, the stomach distends to such extent that the patient may start vomiting and if the tube is kept free draining, then it drain out this stomach content to relieve the obstruction.
  • Just popping out tube only due to obstruction, without above mentioned drainage (through a tube or vomiting) is very unlikely, unless the tube is not fixed properly at the time of surgery.

|