Aspiration

What happens if you aspirate a small piece of cinnamon?

Query: Hello doctor, I accidentally breathed in cinnamon. I put it in water, and when I went to drink, I inhaled some through my mouth. Will I be fine? I coughed only a little bit, and I do not have any breathing issues now. But I worry about it getting to my lungs. Kindly help.  Read Full »

Dr. Sugreev Singh

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thank you for writing, and I understand your concern. Do not worry, and it will not cause any severe side effects to the lungs. Because it does not contain any harmful substance or chemical, lung injuries or any other reaction is impossible. For prevention, I sug...  Read Full »

What happens if water enters the wind pipe?

Query: Hello doctor, Yesterday, I got "water in the wrong hole," coughed a bit, and felt fine again. Later at night, I had brief chest pain. Today morning after going to the toilet, I coughed up some yellow-colored mucus. I do not have a fever, my pulse is around 55 to 60 (lower than usual), and my SpO2...  Read Full »

Dr. Nagaraj Patil

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concerns. I do not think chest pain is anything related to this episode. Coughing after something gets into the trachea (air pipe) is a protective mechanism to protect the lungs. Even if it is connected, the reason could be mu...  Read Full »

Is revision surgery required to correct swelling that occurred after hydrocelectomy?

Query: Hi doctor, Thirty days ago, I had a double hydrocelectomy. After surgery, there was a lot of swelling, which was slow to do down, and then suddenly, three weeks out, it quickly went up. Following an ultrasound, my scrotum was aspirated, draining off 520 ml of fluid. Two days later, it is once again...  Read Full »

Dr. Samer S J Altawil

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Swelling and fluid indicate fluid leaking from the tummy down through the inguinal canal to the scrotum. Hydrocele can be non-communicating, which can be treated by classical hydrocelectomy, but the communicating type should have ligation of the patent vaginalis at th...  Read Full »

Which specialist would perform surgery of a galactocele?

Query: Hello doctor,My wife stopped breastfeeding our¬†third child five months ago, after a lot of sucking difficulties and painful nipples. Because of that, her breasts plugged and did not empty properly. She has tried breast pump without any luck. She has now developed painful galactoceles on both her br...  Read Full »

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. A galactocele is a milk filled space inside the breast. Breast problems are common after childbirth in those women who had stopped breastfeeding or experienced sucking difficulties. Firstly, I hope you are sure that it is truly a galactocele and not any other ...  Read Full »

How to know the reason for my big toe pain?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been suffering lately from pain in my big toe joint. It is very severe that I could not sleep two nights when I ran out of painkillers. I thought it might be a gout attack. Because I do have gout. Though my uric acid levels are mostly high, I do not really watch what I eat. My tr...  Read Full »

Dr. Atul Prakash

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. From your detailed description, it is gout unless proven otherwise. The reason I say this is your past medical history of gout. Swelling of the great toe and adjoining area with excruciating pain is called podagra. It is the most common presentation of gout. Even nor...  Read Full »

Why is there aspiration of feeds in baby and what can be done?

Query: Hi doctor, My baby has undergone hospitalization many times since birth. She has been placed with tracheostomy and gastrostomy tube due to which mobility of the baby is not possible. We are consulting with renowned ENT surgeons and pediatric doctors and we had been told that ''the aspiration can b...  Read Full »

Dr. E Venkata Ramana

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The aspiration of feeds is due to the presence of bulbar palsy and palate pharyngeal muscle incoordination. As per the doctor's advise, try to improve the nutrition of the child and weight. Once the child gains a proper weight, then decannulation (removing tracheostomy...  Read Full »