Q. I had a heart attack a few years back. What medicine other than Aspirin should I take for life?

Dr. Vivek Pillai

I had a heart attack two and a half years ago where I had one of the main arteries clogged, and a stent was put into it. The report says ACS-IWSTEMI, occluded proximities RCA, and primary PCI have done with 3.5 X 28 DES and post-dilation with 3.75 NC balloon. I was advised to take tablet Brilinta 90 mg and tablet Aspirin 81 mg for one year.

After one year of medicines except for the Aspirin, I went for an overall checkup where I was questioned about ABCD medicines by the physician, which I never took. So my question is, what other medication should I take besides Aspirin for life?

Kindly help.

#

Thanks for the query and the description of your problem. The ABCD mentioned by your physician means - Aspirin, Beta-blockers (drugs preventing heart failure) and BP (blood pressure) control, then C stands for cholesterol-lowering drugs and D for diuretics to avoid water lung. As a drug-eluting stent has been placed at the beginning of the right coronary artery, you must take Aspirin for life. Presumably, your heart function is still depressed.

|