Q. Why is Aspirin given for high hemoglobin and RBC count?

I am a 40 year old male. My hemoglobin was 18.3 g/dL, but it has come down to 17.7 g/dL since the last two months. My RBC count varies between 6.1 to 6.27 now, and PCV is 51.9 %. I am taking mini Aspirin as suggested by my doctor. Do I have any reason to worry?

Hematology Pathology
#

Your hemoglobin level, RBC (red blood cells), and PCV (packed cell volume) are high. The lymph node, liver, and spleen need to be clinically examined.

Do you have a history of dizziness, weakness, and stroke?

High level of RBC and hemoglobin can cause blood clots and can lead to vascular complications like stroke. This is the reason your doctor gave you Aspirin.

You are at a risk of polycythemia vera, and it has to be ruled out by bone marrow study or molecular testing for JAK2 gene mutation.

Phlebotomy might be needed to reduce RBC mass. Consult your physician or a nearby hematologist for examination and further work up.

For more information consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

| 

MRI shows stroke and brain changes. Is it due to untreated sleep apnea?

Query: Hello doctor, The patient underwent extensive routine physical examination including MR/CT imaging and laboratory analysis earlier this month. The MR Brain shows evidence of lacunar stroke and ischemic brain changes. Please advise if these might be connected to untreated obstructive sleep apnea (mor...  Read Full »

I have weakness and pain in the arm. Should I anticipate surgery?

Query: Hi doctor,I recently had an MRI on my neck. I have a 75 % weakness and pain on the left arm (tricep). Should I anticipate surgery?  Read Full »

Is stroke with bleeding serious or without bleeding?

Query: Hi doctor, I got a stroke but I do not know how to explain it. Twice I was bleeding along with the stroke. One type of bleeding was chronic and the other one was acute. I would like to know which type of bleeding is dangerous? And also explain the reason for the same.  Read Full »

Ask a Hematologist Now