Q. Why is Aspirin given for high hemoglobin and RBC count?

I am a 40 year old male. My hemoglobin was 18.3 g/dL, but it has come down to 17.7 g/dL since the last two months. My RBC count varies between 6.1 to 6.27 now, and PCV is 51.9 %. I am taking mini Aspirin as suggested by my doctor. Do I have any reason to worry?

#

Your hemoglobin level, RBC (red blood cells), and PCV (packed cell volume) are high. The lymph node, liver, and spleen need to be clinically examined.

Do you have a history of dizziness, weakness, and stroke?

High level of RBC and hemoglobin can cause blood clots and can lead to vascular complications like stroke. This is the reason your doctor gave you Aspirin.

You are at a risk of polycythemia vera, and it has to be ruled out by bone marrow study or molecular testing for JAK2 gene mutation.

Phlebotomy might be needed to reduce RBC mass. Consult your physician or a nearby hematologist for examination and further work up.

For more information consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

|