Q. Why is Aspirin given for high hemoglobin and RBC count?

Published on Mar 26, 2017

I am a 40 year old male. My hemoglobin was 18.3 g/dL, but it has come down to 17.7 g/dL since the last two months. My RBC count varies between 6.1 to 6.27 now, and PCV is 51.9 %. I am taking mini Aspirin as suggested by my doctor. Do I have any reason to worry?

Hematology Pathology
#

Your hemoglobin level, RBC (red blood cells), and PCV (packed cell volume) are high. The lymph node, liver, and spleen need to be clinically examined.

Do you have a history of dizziness, weakness, and stroke?

High level of RBC and hemoglobin can cause blood clots and can lead to vascular complications like stroke. This is the reason your doctor gave you Aspirin.

You are at a risk of polycythemia vera, and it has to be ruled out by bone marrow study or molecular testing for JAK2 gene mutation.

Phlebotomy might be needed to reduce RBC mass. Consult your physician or a nearby hematologist for examination and further work up.

For more information consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

MRI shows stroke and brain changes. Is it due to untreated sleep apnea?

Query: Hello doctor, The patient underwent extensive routine physical examination including MR/CT imaging and laboratory analysis earlier this month. The MR Brain shows evidence of lacunar stroke and ischemic brain changes. Please advise if these might be connected to untreated obstructive sleep apnea (mor...  Read Full >>

Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I carefully went through your question and the patient's medical history. I reviewed her medical report and the uploaded brain MRI study (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and would explain that those changes are indicative of small vessel disease, whic...  Read Full

I have weakness and pain in the arm. Should I anticipate surgery?

Query: Hi doctor,I recently had an MRI on my neck. I have a 75 % weakness and pain on the left arm (tricep). Should I anticipate surgery?  Read Full >>

Dr. Chandan Mohanty
Neuro Surgeon

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I am sorry to hear this. I have gone through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The MRI report shows a pressure on the nerves in the cervical spine (neck). These nerves eventually go to your upper limbs. Hence the pain and weakness in your a...  Read Full

Is stroke with bleeding serious or without bleeding?

Query: Hi doctor, I got a stroke but I do not know how to explain it. Twice I was bleeding along with the stroke. One type of bleeding was chronic and the other one was acute. I would like to know which type of bleeding is dangerous? And also explain the reason for the same.  Read Full >>

Dr. Vivek Chail

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. An acute hemorrhage is for a short duration but very dangerous. The reason being a sudden build up of pressure in the brain. In case of chronic bleeding it is not so dangerous but it will remain for a long period. In this case there is a gradual increase of pressure in ...  Read Full

Ask a Hematologist Now