Q. Will taking Aspirin during periods affect my cycle?

Dr. Muhammad Zubayer Alam
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 24, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jul 21, 2020

Sometimes I get migraines (three times per year) and Aspirin is the only tablet that help me in that situation. I was wondering if I get migraines during my period can I still take Aspirin?

#

I can understand your concern. According to your statement you have been suffering from migraine occasionally and your query is whether you can take Aspirin during your menstrual period or not.

According to your query, if you take Aspirin regularly you can notice your menstrual cycle becomes longer or heavier than usual. But occasionally use of Aspirin like you for your migraine will not affect your cycle. As you are not a patient of bleeding disorder, you can take Aspirin for your migraine during your menstrual period.

Again, another NSAIDS like Ibuprofen, Mefenamic acid, Naproxen, etc., can make the flow lighter during your menstrual period. You can also take these types of painkillers for your migraine. In case of any other query ask me and I will try to reply to you further.

I have another question, If I am on my period and taking Ibuprofen 200 for cramps and after an hour or sometimes if I get migraine can I take Aspirin also?

#

If you take Ibuprofen, you cannot take Aspirin after one hour of taking it, because both are NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) and concurrent use of both NSAIDS can produce serious side effects like GIT (gastrointestinal tract) bleeding, GIT upset, nausea, vomiting, abdominal cramps, etc.

Food and Drug Administration (FDA) recommend that Ibuprofen for pain relief should be taken 8 hours before Aspirin or 30 minutes afterward. So you cannot take Aspirin after taking Ibuprofen. As you take Ibuprofen for pain relief, so I think it will protect you from migraine's pain too. Both Aspirin and Ibuprofen are NSAIDs which can use for pain relief like migraine, muscle cramps, etc.

If you need to take painkillers after taking Aspirin or Ibuprofen, you should take Acetaminophen or Paracetamol. Paracetamol is a safe option for using concurrently with NSAIDs.

In case of period cramps, I will take Paracetamol and if I have a migraine as well I am safe to take an Aspirin. Is that correct?

#

Welcome back to ilciniq.com.

Yes, you can. You can take Paracetamol for your cramps and then you can take Aspirin if you have a headache due to migraine. You can use Propanolol daily as a prophylactic for your migraine.

Again u can take ibuprofen for your cramps and then take paracetamol for ur migraine. in case of any other query,feel free and ask me.

Now I know what to do in case of migraines or period cramps. Thanks so much for all your help.

#

Welcome back to ilciniq.com.

You are welcome. Keep in touch for further doubts.

|