Q. Is heart attack genetic?

I am a 30 year old female. My father who is 65 years old has suffered from two very severe heart attacks, one recently and another two years back. His father and brother both died in their 50s from heart attacks. Is heart attack genetic? Should my son and I get tested?

#

Yes, heart attack has a genetic component coupled with environmental elements like lifestyle, etc.

Your chance of acquiring it depends on both of your parents. Likewise, your son acquiring it depends on you and your husband.

But you are at an increased risk, so you should get periodic health checkup done. Especially blood pressure, lipid profile and blood sugar.

I suggest you follow a healthy lifestyle as follows.

1. Avoid fatty, oily and high-calorie diet. Avoid red meat as well. Try to prevent abdominal fat deposition.
  2. Consume less salt, a lot of green vegetables and fruits.
  3. Monitor blood pressure regularly.
  4. Do regular exercises like brisk walking and jogging for at least 30 minutes a day and five days a week.
  5. Avoid smoking and consuming alcohol.

For further queries consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

|