Q. Is it safe to take Aspirin after 30 weeks of pregnancy?

This is a premium question & answer published on May 17, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am in my 25th week of pregnancy which is post IUI. I am also a thyroid patient and on Thyroxine. I am taking Aspirin ASA 50 mg, calcium and protein supplements in the form of tablet and syrup. I am taking capsule MCBM DHA for Folic Acid. I would like to get your valuable advice on the following points. Till which month of pregnancy can I take baby aspirin ASA 50 mg? Is it safe to take Aspirin after 30th week? Recently, I have been advised to take Lrzin one sachet daily. Can you tell me for what should I take this? And till how long I have to take it? My doctor told me to take Betnesol injection during 28-30th week. Is it safe to take 6 ml dose on two consecutive days together? I understand this injection is for maturity of baby lungs but after taking this do the sugar levels increase? And will there be a chance of normal delivery rather than C-section after taking this injection? Do I need to take the Folic acid supplement throughout pregnancy and also post pregnancy for lactation purpose? Please clarify my doubts.

#

From your history, I understand that you are a thyroid patient and have had an IUI (intrauterine insemination) pregnancy. Hence, you would have been started on Aspirin ASA 50 (Acetylsalicylic Acid), Folic Acid and Progesterone support during your first trimester. Then, Iron syrup and Calcium in the second trimester.

Now answering your questions one by one:-

• Thyroxine has to be continued daily till birth and even post delivery for at least 6 weeks.
  • Aspirin ASA 50 mg has to be continued till 37 weeks or term or if you would go in labor earlier then it has to be stopped 48 hours prior.
  • Lrzin is actually L-arginine sachet which is started by 24-26 weeks daily especially in women whose blood pressure is on the higher range.
  • If the woman is gestation hypertensive then it will be prescribed with an aim to keep the blood pressure in check. It will also reduce the chance of pre-eclampsia in pregnancy.
  • Pre-eclampsia, which affects approximately 1 in every 20 first time pregnancies, could be prevented if high risk pregnant women start taking a dietary supplement containing L-arginine and antioxidant vitamins during their 20th week of pregnancy. This has to be continued till 37th week again, if you are hypertensive and not required post pregnancy.
  • Injection Betamethasone (Betnesal) is to be administered ideally at 32 weeks of pregnancy in two doses of 12 mg each for 2 days, to allow fetal lung maturation. It will not prevent lungs in case the delivery is a pre-term which is often a risk in IUI pregnancies and also women who develop pre-eclampsia early in pregnancy and are not controlled by medication.
  • The immediate aim is to take the pregnancy till at least 34 weeks when the fetal lungs naturally mature, but it is safer to give injection Betamethasone earlier.
  • Injection Betamethasone do increase sugar level but momentarily for few days which can be controlled easily with diet restriction, if you are GDM (gestational diabetic) as well.
  • MCBM DHA is a folic acid plus DHA (Docosahexaenoic Acid) supplement which is to be continued till term and also for 3 months after delivery. DHA is a member of the omega-3 family of fatty acids. DHA plays an important role in brain and retinal development in infants. It is also the most abundant unsaturated fatty acid found in the brain. So, it is seen in studies that women who are supplemented with DHA during pregnancy give birth to children with higher IQs (intelligence quotient) which is evaluated at 2 years of age.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Can I safely get Betnesol at around 32 week in two doses? Is it unsafe to take Aspirin ASA after 32 week as placenta position is changed by it? Kindly also advice, till how long am I supposed to take Iron syrup Zincofer?

#

• Yes, you can safely take injection Betamethasone 12 mg once a day twice weekly at 32 weeks.
  • Aspirin does not cause any harm during climbing of placenta by 32-34 weeks as that occurs when lower segment of the uterus is formed and there is enough progesterone to look after it.

|