Q. Does mixing alcohol with antibiotics slows down healing in an asthmatic patient?

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan
Published on Oct 17, 2019

I was recently diagnosed with asthma, bronchitis, and pharyngitis. I am currently on some temporary medicines, and antibiotics to treat these sicknesses along with an inhaler. I do not feel that bad, but I need to take the pills. However, being in college, I have a big game this weekend. This question may seem to be a little stupid but, would mixing of alcohol with antibiotics be deadly? Or would it just slow down the process of making me better? I know it is a silly question to ask, but I am half minded on it and would prefer not to end up in the hospital.

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan

Allergy Specialist Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)
#

I guess you are taking medicines for bronchitis and pharyngitis. So most probably it is an antibiotic medicine. Generally, we advise to take medicines after food with water, and within limits taking some medicines with low alcohol does not cause any harm. However, it is best to avoid to do so.

The idea of taking medicines with alcohol is not advised as it can be harmful. Alcohol and some medicines cause gastritis, and you may vomit out. Also, it can cause liver toxicity with such combination. So there is no logic of taking medicines with alcohol.

Also, alcohol intensifies the effects of certain medicines, and alcohol can not dissolve some medicines. Serious interactions also can occur.So it is a better idea to consult your doctor before doing so.

Are there abnormalities in my blood reports?

Query: Hello doctor,I got a blood test done this week. The investigations are as follows: Red cell distribution width is 11.4 %, platelets count is 130 thou/UI, mean platelet volume is 13.3 fL. Morphology remarks: Gaint platelets are seen, and small clumps of platelets are seen.  Read Full »

Can allergic asthma turn into permanent asthma?

Query: Hello doctor,I am 29 years old now. I have allergic asthma for last 6 to 7 years but in very mild form (mild suffocation and coughing for 2 to 3 days, once in three months). It used to get triggered by an old house (old book or newspaper dust) or distemper and paints or orange flavored drinks. But s...  Read Full »

Ask a Pulmonologist Now