Q. Can atopic dermatitis with secondary bacterial infection cause sepsis?

Dr. Pathave Hari Shivaram
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 23, 2022 and last reviewed on: Oct 06, 2022

My daughter is 5 years old. A few weeks ago, rashes started appearing under her armpits. It is like one bigger wound with rough dots. It is not getting any better and is spreading now. There are also some dots on the tummy, but it is primarily present under the armpits. It is for the first time she has a rash. It is winter in our region, and we always wear a lot of clothes. Is this condition related to that, or is it atopic eczema, fungus, stress, or allergies? She had regular flu and winter diseases during the last weeks; otherwise, she is fine. Among her friends, many had corona, but still, now she has not got corona.

#

Thanks for writing in, and I understand your concern.

It looks like atopic dermatitis with secondary bacterial infection. I suggest using;

a) Mometasone Fusidic acid cream at morning and afternoon for seven days.

b) Tacrolimus (0.1%) ointment at night for 15 days.

c) Tablet Levocetirizine 5 mg half tablet at night for ten days. Follow up after ten days. If any further query kindly revert.

Thanks for the reply.

That seems like a very accurate diagnosis. It came during a cold period here in our region. I have forwarded your answer to my regular doctor (who is not a dermatologist) and asked if I need to see a specialist.

My doctor prescribed Fusidic acid Hydrocortisone acetate cream the other day, and we just started using it. Is that enough, or do you think the tablets are necessary? Do I have to consult a dermatologist in our area? I am worried whether it will get worse, spread internally, and lead to sepsis. I have read somewhere that although not common, systemic bacterial infections and eczema herpeticum can be life-threatening. How serious is this condition exactly? Kindly help.

#

It is a localized lesion, so there is no need to worry about sepsis and other life-threatening infection. I suggest taking Levocetirizine tablet and the other medications for the above suggested period and then doing a follow-up. Otherwise, you can also take the opinion of a dermatologist over there.

|